"An Old-Fashioned Beach Resort" Praia de Mira by Bwana_Brown

Praia de Mira Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 25 photos

On the 8th day of our road trip from Lisbon, we decided that it was time to leave the mountains and castles of the interior of Portugal and return once more to the Ocean. We were also tired of big towns and cities so we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to head for Praia de Mira, a small fishing village on the western coast, south of the city of Aveiro.

It turned out to be an excellent choice - a beach resort of the 'old school' and unlike the modern high-rises and assorted development along the Algarve coast where we had been 6 days earlier. Praia de Mira has so far avoided the massive changes that tourism usually brings and we found it to be, even in late-May, almost deserted as far as tourists go. It proved to be a very relaxing location indeed!

We were very fortunate to be able to watch the village fishers in action as they went about the job of hauling the day's catch up onto the beach. For a look at where Praia de Mira is located, please refer to the map in my General tip.

• Pros:Still has a traditional Portugese flavour
  • In a nutshell:A great spot to relax in without the crowds
  • Last visit to Praia de Mira: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 7, 2008

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Those beach net fishing tips took me way back to my childhood, Glenn. This looks a very pleasant quiet little break from the 'tourist route'.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Yes, I can well understand your interest in abandoned houses, whether farmhouses in New Brunswick or someone's onetime getaway in Praia de Mira. This is every homeowner's secret fear, I suppose, that you can't sell it or even give it away.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

A very nice fishing village, Glenn! And you describe so well the fishing process! In the seventies, there were still oxen trailing the boats, instead of tractors. Wandering along the coast of “tourist-free” places is just a nice thing to do and enjoy.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2008 at 8:58 AM

What a lovely little fishing village! And interesting to see how the net was brought in!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM

You can't beat pizza with a red to round off a ramble on the beach!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 1:05 PM

Fabulous little page about this Portuguese gem. Unfortunately, I have never been north of Lisbon in Portugal.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Praia de Mira is undoubtedly my sort of beach - it even has my name :) I liked those traditional fishing boats 'Meia-lua' and really looove azulejos! Sitting out on the balcony with the ocean view... sipping excellent portuguese wine... ah, wonderful :)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 5:28 PM

Next unusual page. I like especially your off the beaten and local customs tips.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2005 at 5:17 PM

Great page Glenn, I had been expecting some Cormorants (maybe!), but certainly not tractors!!! It's strange to see how something as trivial as fishing can be done so differently!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 9:24 PM

An amazing place and a most interesting report on this beach fishing. I remember that friends showed me pictures of the same with oxen in the 70s. It is interesting to see that they adapted and improved a traditional way of fishing to modern engines!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Praia de Mira

Have you been to Praia de Mira?

Latest Activity in Praia de Mira