"The Pinnacle of Portugal !" Top 5 Page for this destination Sintra by Bwana_Brown
Sintra Travel Guide: 539 reviews and 2,164 photos
Did we ever start our trip to Portugal off on the right foot! The morning of our first full day in the country broke sunny and warm so we took heed of all the tips that we had received from other VT members - we boarded a train in Lisbon and headed for the outlying town of Sintra.
This amazing UNESCO World Heritage site surpassed all of our expectations, and despite the fact that we saw so many great places and sights on our two-week trip, we still rate this first day's experience as the 'pinnacle' of our Portugal visit!
We started off with a wander around the quaint streets of Sintra itself and then began trekking upward through a beautifully forested trail to the 8th century Moorish Castle that controls the skyline high above. After enjoying its battlements and views (seen here) we descended back into town for lunch and then a tour through the Sintra Palace, summer home to Portugese Royalty for over 500 years.
This place is not to be missed, and it is a very easy day trip from Lisbon by either train or car! In fact, we did come back here with our rental car on the last day before we left Portugal. We had realized that there was so much more to see so we took the scenic 'Serra de Sintra' drive through Pena Park to Cabo da Rocha lighthouse and the Peninha chapel at 1600-ft up! However, that is a story for my 'Distrito de Lisboa' page!
- Pros:Amazing Structures and Views
- Cons:Requires Time to See it All
- In a nutshell:Top of the List for 'Must See' !!
These chimneys in the Palacio Nacional are the symbol of Sintra - no other location has anything like them. And it is no... more travel advice
In addition to the decorative enjoyment of the tiled house, I also was amused by the nice flower arrangement growing... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Sintra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Freshness near Lisbon"
- "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- "Keeweechic's Sintra"
- "Magic Town"
- "Sintra, Portugal"
- "THE NOBLE TOWN OF SINTRA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sintra
- Hotels in Sintra
- Transportation in Sintra
- Nightlife in Sintra
- Restaurants in Sintra
- Shopping in Sintra
- Warnings and Dangers in Sintra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sintra
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Sintra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sintra
- Commented on one of Willettsworld's Sintra travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- updated a Sintra Travel Page "The Pinnacle of Portugal !"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sintra is Located HERE"
- Wrote a Review Royal Chimneys about Palácio Nacional de Sintra - Sintra National Palace in Sintra Things to Do
Photos in SintraSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos