"Alicante - we never really intended to be there!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante by Bwana_Brown
Alicante Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,227 photos
My wife and I ended up in Alicante by a strange set of circumstances, starting with the fact that we began planning our trip to Spain about 3-months before we left Canada. Since we planned to be in the country for about 3 weeks, we asked Sue's sister living in Cornwall, England if she wanted to join us for a portion of the trip. She agreed, but the easiest way for her to reach the Mediterranean coast was to fly out of the small but nearby airport at Newquay directly to Alicante. We had planned to concentrate on the coastal and inland areas around Malaga and Granada/Seville but instead changed our plans so we could meet her flight in Alicante. Our airport pick-up travel plans had been set up in that direction before the sudden world financial crisis caused a major change - all Ryan Air flights from Newquay were cancelled about a month after they had been booked and paid for, resulting in Sue's sister having to book her flight from Gatwick (London) to Malaga instead!
Oh well, we had never been to Alicante before and there were some things we wanted to see, including Cabo de Sant Antonio and the world-renowned palm trees of Elche, so we continued onward with our original plans. Our time in the Alicante area was short but we did manage to see Cabo de San Antonio at the start of our trip and also the very impressive Cabo de Gata area outside Almeria near the very end of our trip as we returned to Alicante for our flight back to Madrid. On this opening stage of the trip, we had no regrets as we left Alicante to drive southwest along the coast for the re-scheduled pick-up in Malaga!
- Pros:Cabo de Sant Antonio to the northeast impressed us!
- Cons:I never did like a lot of traffic
- In a nutshell:A bit too busy for my tastes - but that's because I prefer the countryside anyway
In anticipation of starting our driving trip in Alicante and heading southwest from there to the Costa del Sol region,... more travel advice
Alicante gave us our first inklings of what was to become a recurring problem on this winter (with its short days) trip... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Alicante Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alicante, my home city"
- "Alicante, pueblo grande"
- "A city to discover!!"
- "WELCOME TO ALICANTE!"
- "Alicante - we never really intended to be there!"
- "Alicante, Spain"
- "ALICANTE - COSTA BLANCA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alicante
- Hotels in Alicante
- Transportation in Alicante
- Nightlife in Alicante
- Restaurants in Alicante
- Shopping in Alicante
- Warnings and Dangers in Alicante
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alicante
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Alicante?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alicante
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of ranger49's Alicante travel pages
- updated a Alicante Travel Page "Alicante - we never really intended to be there!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alicante - we never really intended to be there!"
- Wrote a Review Perfectly sized rental car in Alicante Transportation
Photos in AlicanteSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos