"Alicante - we never really intended to be there!" Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante by Bwana_Brown

Alicante Travel Guide: 502 reviews and 1,158 photos

My wife and I ended up in Alicante by a strange set of circumstances, starting with the fact that we began planning our trip to Spain about 3-months before we left Canada. Since we planned to be in the country for about 3 weeks, we asked Sue's sister living in Cornwall, England if she wanted to join us for a portion of the trip. She agreed, but the easiest way for her to reach the Mediterranean coast was to fly out of the small but nearby airport at Newquay directly to Alicante. We had planned to concentrate on the coastal and inland areas around Malaga and Granada/Seville but instead changed our plans so we could meet her flight in Alicante. Our airport pick-up travel plans had been set up in that direction before the sudden world financial crisis caused a major change - all Ryan Air flights from Newquay were cancelled about a month after they had been booked and paid for, resulting in Sue's sister having to book her flight from Gatwick (London) to Malaga instead!

Oh well, we had never been to Alicante before and there were some things we wanted to see, including Cabo de Sant Antonio and the world-renowned palm trees of Elche, so we continued onward with our original plans. Our time in the Alicante area was short but we did manage to see Cabo de San Antonio at the start of our trip and also the very impressive Cabo de Gata area outside Almeria near the very end of our trip as we returned to Alicante for our flight back to Madrid. On this opening stage of the trip, we had no regrets as we left Alicante to drive southwest along the coast for the re-scheduled pick-up in Malaga!

• Pros:Cabo de Sant Antonio to the northeast impressed us!
  • Cons:I never did like a lot of traffic
  • In a nutshell:A bit too busy for my tastes - but that's because I prefer the countryside anyway
  • Last visit to Alicante: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2009

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM

A very enjoyable read Glenn :o) Thanks for the tips too! We are visiting after the big Paris meet next year. Looking forward to it! Cheers, Ann.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Some things happen for a reason and as usual, you turned it into a winner. Nothing better than eating on the fly especially if they don't have "civilized" eating hours. You can never trust Google directions. They had me lost many times and in my own town!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Alicante page and for your nice comment.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the memories, we arrived Alicante 1993, our first visit to Europe & Spain. Driving was a shock, travelled north to Albir, 55km, for 7 sunny days.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

A great introduction, interesting Hosta..we had same problem with dinner meal being so late by our standards. Loved light house. That rope as a safeguard seems frightening! We enjoyed Alicante when we were there.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 6:50 PM

This sounds a very pleasant interlude with unexpectedly great weather. Hard to adapt to European evening eating hours though, isn't it! We ran into similar map problems in France.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM

very nice page mate. and i totally agree that spanair has very nice service and often very good deals.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM

With such a superb coastline it's not surprising that so many would want to live and visit here.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Cabo de Sant Antonio looks beautiful, and I like your habit of bringing a picnic and stop at a place with great scenary.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I know that the 1/1,000,000 map can be very misleading in these highly built areas! I experienced it too, further north ! The dining hours in Spain can be a real problem for foreigners!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Alicante

Have you been to Alicante?