"A short visit to Cadiz" Cadiz by Bwana_Brown
Cadiz Travel Guide: 612 reviews and 1,257 photos
Cadiz was the third and final planned ?big city? stop on our rental car explorations of Andalusia. Sue?s sister had flown out from England to join us for nine days and we had planned to use the first five days of her stay exploring Granada (two days), Sevilla (two days) and finally Cadiz before we changed over to more remote locations to explore. In the end, I?m glad we stopped the ?city stuff? after five days, even if driving and ferry delays caused our trip to Cadiz to be a far too short half-day visit to the city itself.
Our plan to avoid the congestion of city life worked out beautifully, as we found the small city of El Puerto de Santa Maria, just across the bay from Cadiz, to be a very pleasant spot in which to spend our one night in the area. I even had the pleasure of arriving in Cadiz on a ferry instead of fighting my way in through the traffic!
Cadiz itself has a unique location on a narrow spit of land dividing the Bay of Cadiz from the Atlantic Ocean. Because the soil on the peninsula is not all that firm for the construction of tall and heavy buildings, the city still retains its ancient appearance by not having any skyscrapers ? but does have lots of ancient streets and buildings still standing. That should be no surprise, because Cadiz is reported to be the oldest continuously inhabited city in Europe. We only managed to see a very small part of the city, but go ahead and take a quick look for yourself through my tips. My 'General' tip includes a map that shows the location and topography of Cadiz in southwestern Spain as well as our driving route arriving there and where we headed next.
- Pros:Unique setting and still has that old-world feel
- Cons:We did not have enough time for a good look around
- In a nutshell:An interesting Christmas visit to one of Spain's cities
At that stage of our Spain trip, we had been in the country for eight nights when we awoke in Seville on our final day... more travel advice
Whether seen from a distance as we approached Cadiz on our ferry (3rd photo) or up-close as we wandered up to its... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Cadiz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I was born in Cadiz"
- "University years in Cadiz"
- "Europes Oldest City"
- "A short visit to Cadiz"
- "Flamenco y Tapas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cadiz
- Hotels in Cadiz
- Transportation in Cadiz
- Nightlife in Cadiz
- Restaurants in Cadiz
- Shopping in Cadiz
- Warnings and Dangers in Cadiz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cadiz
- 15 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Cadiz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cadiz
- updated a Cadiz Travel Page "A short visit to Cadiz"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of AusPinay's Cadiz travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cádiz Cathedral was the most impressive building"
- Wrote a Review Our driving route to and from Cadiz in Cadiz Favorites
Photos in CadizSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos