"A short visit to Cadiz" Cadiz by Bwana_Brown

Cadiz Travel Guide: 600 reviews and 1,239 photos

Cadiz was the third and final planned ‘big city’ stop on our rental car explorations of Andalusia. Sue’s sister had flown out from England to join us for nine days and we had planned to use the first five days of her stay exploring Granada (two days), Sevilla (two days) and finally Cadiz before we changed over to more remote locations to explore. In the end, I’m glad we stopped the ‘city stuff’ after five days, even if driving and ferry delays caused our trip to Cadiz to be a far too short half-day visit to the city itself.

Our plan to avoid the congestion of city life worked out beautifully, as we found the small city of El Puerto de Santa Maria, just across the bay from Cadiz, to be a very pleasant spot in which to spend our one night in the area. I even had the pleasure of arriving in Cadiz on a ferry instead of fighting my way in through the traffic!

Cadiz itself has a unique location on a narrow spit of land dividing the Bay of Cadiz from the Atlantic Ocean. Because the soil on the peninsula is not all that firm for the construction of tall and heavy buildings, the city still retains its ancient appearance by not having any skyscrapers – but does have lots of ancient streets and buildings still standing. That should be no surprise, because Cadiz is reported to be the oldest continuously inhabited city in Europe. We only managed to see a very small part of the city, but go ahead and take a quick look for yourself through my tips. My 'General' tip includes a map that shows the location and topography of Cadiz in southwestern Spain as well as our driving route arriving there and where we headed next.

• Pros:Unique setting and still has that old-world feel
  • Cons:We did not have enough time for a good look around
  • In a nutshell:An interesting Christmas visit to one of Spain's cities
  • Last visit to Cadiz: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Catching up on the parts of your Spain trip that I mised first time round :-) The cathedral looks interesting and your hotel sounds perfect - AND its restaurant!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

What a pleasant page. I'll have to remember Andalusia for Christmas some year. I can almost smell the breeze from your great photos. Thank you for the kind message today + good luck with the catching up at work.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Very informative page that will be useful when we will (not scheduled but forecast) visit Andalucia. We also often try to be "near to" instead of "in"! You did a very exciting round trip!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I see you got to Cadiz. You found a very nice motel and reasonable price too. Nice to celebrate a birthday also.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Cadiz is really worth visiting if I ever repeat my trip to Spain. To rent a car is a good choice. A daughter of my friend made the same trip by rented car lately. Your birthday party meal in Cadiz was very pleasant I guess...

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2009 at 5:53 AM

This sounds like a perfect way to spend a day to me. Ferry ride, beach, castles, and more. A lovely dinner and a nice hotel. Great page.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Sometimes those short trips are the best. The Castillo de San Marcos looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your travels.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I did not know where Cadiz was, I learn so much from VT tips. Very good tips here. Thank you

• pikuu's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Beaches, sea, tapas, monuments....very picturesque and useful set of exhaustive tips and photos. Great job!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Olives, ham, and wine...sounds like heaven. Oh, the scenery isn't too shabby either. ;)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Cadiz