"An amazingly beautiful part of Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination El Cabo de Gata by Bwana_Brown

El Cabo de Gata Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 162 photos

It was into early January when my wife and I were left with only our last two days in the Costa del Sol area of Spain - and we still had a long drive ahead to deliver our rental car up the coast from Nerja (near Velez-Malaga) to Alicante. We decided to break the trip up with an overnight stop somewhere in the middle and, in keeping with what makes us happy, we decided to see what the undeveloped coastal area of the Cabo de Gata-Nijar Nature Park had to offer.

Based on what Wikipedia says, it sounded very interesting: "Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park is a nature reserve near Almería, Spain. It is the largest terrestrial-maritime reserve in the European Western Mediterranean Sea, covering 460 km² including the town of Carboneras, the mountain range of Sierra de Cabo de Gata, and 120 km² of the sea as a part of a Marine reserve. It is of volcanic origin and is centred around the Cabo de Gata headland. Its climate is semiarid to the extent of being the driest location in Europe. In 1997 it was designated as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Among its rich plant life are a number of endemic xerophytes in the terrestrial zone and the important Posidonia seagrass in the marine zone. Up until the 1960s it was one of the last locations where the endangered monk seal bred in Spain, the islet of Tabarca being the other."

In the end, we had a nice mix of clouds and sunshine and really enjoyed its remoteness and the scarcity of other tourists as we checked out its many interesting features. We also found the small town of San José in which to spend the night - one of our favourite places! Thanks to Google, my 'General' tip gives a nice overview map of the mountains and coastline shape in the area of the Cape, as well as our route and the main attractions that impressed us. However, the second 'General' tip includes another Google map that gives quite a different perspective on Cap San Agustin - the cape on the other side of Almeria.

• Pros:Amazing beaches and mountains with little rainfall
  • Cons:Reported to be very busy in the summer but still nothing like the more southerly areas
  • In a nutshell:The winter off-season visit was perfect for us!
  • Last visit to El Cabo de Gata: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2009

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Love the atmospheric coastal shots, Glenn but as always my heart belongs to the food and tapas sound right up my alley. Hopefully, the tomatoes don't suffer from being greenhouse. Nothing beats a real tomato grown in the grown with real sun beating on it.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM

The beach, lighthouse, windmill and the church of Iglesia de la Almadraba Monteleva looks marvelous. Lovely page!

• pikuu's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I like places "in the middle of nowhere" there you can feel real aroma of visited land. You described it perfectly by words and images (amazing abandoned church). Also comments about contemporary look of this land are very interesting (greenhouses blight)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM

You have a great page here. I liked the opening photo and the tips... Congrats.bora

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 4:38 AM

What a marvellous trip you had here, Glenn. I really enjoyed your page, from the stunning opening photo to the Limoncello drink finish. Hadn't seen greenhouses like those and I do agree that the 'synthetic gardening' seems a blight.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

What a great way to end your vacation. Interesting new additions to this page.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM

What an unique and varied area in Spain. It sure brought back our own 3 1/2 week time there. The beach with solidified breccia was exotic. Beautiful photos and your usual excellent narratives.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM

A beautiful church in the intro and you had a very good idea to visit the Mediterranean in Winter, Glenn! Changing weather makes photos beautiful. I did not know this area of Alboran Sea, thanks for showing.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Amazing intro picture! El Cabo de Gata with its awesome beaches and the Nature park looks like a perfect destination to go off-season, and I would very much enjoy it as well. Nicely written tips (as always!) and beautiful pictures!

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Beautiful foto... the Iglesia is beautiful but you have really catch a beautiful moment of it.... I was there also in winter... I will love to go again

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in El Cabo de Gata

Have you been to El Cabo de Gata?