"An amazingly beautiful part of Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination El Cabo de Gata by Bwana_Brown
El Cabo de Gata Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 162 photos
It was into early January when my wife and I were left with only our last two days in the Costa del Sol area of Spain - and we still had a long drive ahead to deliver our rental car up the coast from Nerja (near Velez-Malaga) to Alicante. We decided to break the trip up with an overnight stop somewhere in the middle and, in keeping with what makes us happy, we decided to see what the undeveloped coastal area of the Cabo de Gata-Nijar Nature Park had to offer.
Based on what Wikipedia says, it sounded very interesting: "Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park is a nature reserve near Almería, Spain. It is the largest terrestrial-maritime reserve in the European Western Mediterranean Sea, covering 460 km² including the town of Carboneras, the mountain range of Sierra de Cabo de Gata, and 120 km² of the sea as a part of a Marine reserve. It is of volcanic origin and is centred around the Cabo de Gata headland. Its climate is semiarid to the extent of being the driest location in Europe. In 1997 it was designated as a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. Among its rich plant life are a number of endemic xerophytes in the terrestrial zone and the important Posidonia seagrass in the marine zone. Up until the 1960s it was one of the last locations where the endangered monk seal bred in Spain, the islet of Tabarca being the other."
In the end, we had a nice mix of clouds and sunshine and really enjoyed its remoteness and the scarcity of other tourists as we checked out its many interesting features. We also found the small town of San José in which to spend the night - one of our favourite places! Thanks to Google, my 'General' tip gives a nice overview map of the mountains and coastline shape in the area of the Cape, as well as our route and the main attractions that impressed us. However, the second 'General' tip includes another Google map that gives quite a different perspective on Cap San Agustin - the cape on the other side of Almeria.
- Pros:Amazing beaches and mountains with little rainfall
- Cons:Reported to be very busy in the summer but still nothing like the more southerly areas
- In a nutshell:The winter off-season visit was perfect for us!
Unfortunately, not one of my favourite things or fondest memory. As we passed through this beautiful area on our drives... more travel advice
We decided to take a different route on our way out of San José, turning right a short way out of town to head toward... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
El Cabo de Gata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An amazingly beautiful part of Spain"
- "Parque Natural de Gata y Nijar"
- "The incredible Monsul (near Cado de Gata)"
- "Beach_dogs Cabo de Gata Page"
- "Cabo de Gata"
- "El Cabo de Gata"
- "Cabo de Gata"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Cabo de Gata
- Hotels in El Cabo de Gata
- Transportation in El Cabo de Gata
- Restaurants in El Cabo de Gata
- Warnings and Dangers in El Cabo de Gata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Cabo de Gata
- 19 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to El Cabo de Gata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Cabo de Gata
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: First Helpful Travel Answers..."
- updated a El Cabo de Gata Travel Page "An amazingly beautiful part of Spain"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Impressive beach"
- Wrote a Review Greenhouses blight the landscape in El Cabo de Gata Favorites
- Commented on one of mollymoo0oo0's El Cabo de Gata travel pages
Photos in El Cabo de GataSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos