"Estepona, a great little base for explorations!" Top 5 Page for this destination Estepona by Bwana_Brown

Estepona Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 261 photos

Estepona is quite a nice little fishing community of approximately 46,000 people, located strategically for tourists about half-way between the much larger and busy city of Malaga to the east and attractions located further west along the Mediterranean coast near Gibraltar. In planning our trip to Spain, that variety of choices was one of the main reasons we chose to stay in Estepona for what turned out to be three nights.

By this stage of our three-week trip to Spain, Sue and I were about half-way through and Sue's sister would fly back to England at the end of our stay in Estepona. It was she who had found our accommodations there via the internet during the earlier planning stages and it was our favourite stop-over place of the entire trip. In fact, this was our final pre-arranged accommodation during our Andalusian adventure, with Sue and I just winging it on our own for the remaining eight nights we spent driving around southwestern Spain. My first 'General' tip includes a topographical map of Estepona's location between the mountains and the sea as well as the driving routes we took while in the area.

• Pros:Great location and not as busy as some of the larger centres
  • Cons:Nothing major during the not-so-busy Christmas period
  • In a nutshell:We enjoyed both Estepona and nearby day-trips
  • Last visit to Estepona: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM

That was quite a nice place you stayed at, and the valley view looked very appealing. Lucky for you to have seen such nice surroundings.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I can see why this was your favourite accommodation - it looks a lovely spot in which to spend a sunny Christmas :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Estepona looks a very nice place and especially the B&B! I would be tempted by beach fishing! Thanks for sharing !

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I've never heard about this town before. So thanks for the virtual tour. Would love to see some of Spain one day and also Gibraltar.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM

an interesting page, thanks for sharing, Glenn ! In summer Spain is much too hot for me, but in our winter it would be a great place to travel around !

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I must admit that I hardly can stay “lazy” in one place for long time, but I should consider to try, in this B&B jewel you found, Glenn! Road trips in the Andalucia mountains are wonderful, and Estepona seems to be a good “base camp”.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Not much beach fishing - or beach anything in Regina, Glenn! Ronda's still on my list, so more than a slight tinge of green as I read this. leyle

• May 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I am jealous of your trip to Ronda; ever since I first became aware of the village – thanks to Hemingway’s novel “For Whom the Bell Tolls” – I have yearned to see the village, especially the old bullfighting stadium and El Tajo.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Lovely page Glenn meeting Sue's Sister must have added to your Christmas Trip to Sunny Spain!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Nice page about your Christmas in Ronda and Estepona. I spent Christmas in Valencia one year and in Toledo another. And I once cycled through Estepona but didn't stop, as far as I can remember. I'm sure the town was a lot smaller then than it is now.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Estepona

Have you been to Estepona?