"Nerja - we really enjoyed our time there!" Top 5 Page for this destination Nerja by Bwana_Brown

Nerja Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 825 photos

Nerja was not even on our list of places to stay during our 3-week trip to Andalusia but, in the end, it became almost like our home away from home! Mainly known as a Mediterranean beach town that has been practically taken over by British retirees and holiday-makers, it was quiet and relaxing when we were there during the Christmas/New Year period.

Nerja also happened to be the first of our 'no reservations' accommodations, because now that it was just Sue and I to finish the trip, we planned to spend our last eight nights foot-loose and fancy-free! A few nights later, on New Year's Day, it bailed us out again after we failed to find any open accommodations in two other nearby towns.

We had done a great deal of driving by this stage of our trip, so we found Nerja to be a great place to just sit and relax for a bit while watching the waves roll in. Combine that with an inexpensive little hostal, some of our best meals of the trip and chatting with new-found friends in a British-style pub - it was an excellent little place to visit for a few days. My first 'General' tip has a map showing where Nerja is located in the grand scheme of things.

• Pros:Nice waterfront and fairly quiet when we were there
  • Cons:Probably too busy with holiday-makers in peak season
  • In a nutshell:We enjoyed our relaxing Christmas/New Year stop-overs
  • Last visit to Nerja: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

This probably wouldn't be my sort of place in high season but it looks a great spot for a winter break. But if I do visit I'll remember to take enough clean clothes with me ;-) BTW I'm not sure your Yorkshireman friend would have had a COCKNEY accent!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM

It is always a pleasure to follow your steps! Haha, narrow streets in old towns can sometimes be a nightmare. I ended once in Greece in a narrow dead end between a house and the sea ans had to reverse for 500 m!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Another nice small place to visit. I try to avoid driving inside old towns if possible, but when you get lost its another story :)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Good to see that Nerja still attractive to first time visitors. Many changes since my fisrt visit in 1977 and many subsequent visits - it's lost its "Spanish" feel. Tho' I guess we may make at least one more visit... good memories. Thanks.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM

We stayed one week in a villa in Nerja and loved it. We ate at some of the same spots. These pages are fantastic, Glenn! Frangiliana was a favorite "white village" that we visited. Your trip sounds as grand as ours.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM

It seems you spent nice time in Nerja in spite of the rain. Sometimes you need a break from sightseeing and observing the life from your balcony must have been quite enjoyable.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 4:51 AM

A great new page - a relaxing holiday with one or two small hiccups. Sea view is always relaxing.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

It is always a pleasure to read about your adventures! Nice page.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM

an interesting place for a nice vacation, thanks for sharing, Glen !

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 7:30 AM

prices seem very reasonable - compared to italy

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Nerja