"Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarifa (Cadiz) by Bwana_Brown

Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 413 photos

It has been eight months since I was in Tarifa, but it still stands out as one of the most interesting of all the places we visited during our 3-weeks in Spain during winter 2008/09. By that stage of our trip, we were into the last few days of 2008 and had decided to simply explore the southwest Atlantic coast with nothing booked for accommodations and no idea of where we would spend each night. We were not disappointed - the wild skies trying to decide if they would rain or not combined with the stong winds and huge waves pounding ashore at Tarifa when we arrived was just the atmosphere we needed. Things calmed down a bit as we moved further north along the coastal mountain ranges in this area - with a visit to the 2000 year old Roman ruins of Baelo Claudia being one of the highlights. This is a part of Spain that I could easily spend a lot of time in and it is definitely worth a visit (my 'General' tip has a map showing how we arrived in the Tarifa area). Why not take a look and decide for yourselves?

• Pros:I like coasts, off-the-beaten-path places and no crowds - it passed with flying colours!
  • Cons:Limited infrastructure, likely over-crowded during the 'popular' months
  • In a nutshell:Very high marks for waves, wind, mountains, history and friendly people
  • Last visit to Tarifa (Cadiz): Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Tarifa and Cadiz seem to be well worth a visit. I only once came through these places by bus on my way from Gibraltar to Jerez de la Frontera. Fabulous page with outstanding photos.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I did not know Tarifa was such a special place. You present a great many very informational tips. Great photo of the goat herder! I have now inscribed Tarifa on my wish list!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Its great to see these impressive waves always were 2 different seas meet !

• Sep 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Stinking goat herders and their piercing blue eyes! I think you should have placed this tip under the Warnings or Dangers category.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Somehow I missed Tarifa and Baelo Claudia when I was in that area (I must have passed close by, though) so it was interesting to read your tips about the region. The coastline really does look wild!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Love the wind swept coastlines. Great photo. It sounds like this was a delightful place to visit and a relaxing place to end your journey.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Fascinating to explore Baelo Claudia with you, the fish factory sounds most interesting! Ah, and this darmatic weather looks marvellous in your photos! The church bell ringing is something I noticed in Italy too.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Exploring the remains of Baelo Claudia sounds like the highlight of your visit of Tarifa. Lucky Sue to have a performance just for herself ;) Very unusual Christmas decorations - quite different from what I saw in Brazil and Colombia :)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM

In did it seems that you had good time here. Still, I haven't been to Spain yet but I have direct flight to this place from the airport near my home :)

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Wonderful wind-swept new page. I myself can never get enough church bells or rooster calls. Looks like you had a great time.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Tarifa (Cadiz)

Have you been to Tarifa (Cadiz)?