"Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarifa (Cadiz) by Bwana_Brown
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide: 204 reviews and 413 photos
It has been eight months since I was in Tarifa, but it still stands out as one of the most interesting of all the places we visited during our 3-weeks in Spain during winter 2008/09. By that stage of our trip, we were into the last few days of 2008 and had decided to simply explore the southwest Atlantic coast with nothing booked for accommodations and no idea of where we would spend each night. We were not disappointed - the wild skies trying to decide if they would rain or not combined with the stong winds and huge waves pounding ashore at Tarifa when we arrived was just the atmosphere we needed. Things calmed down a bit as we moved further north along the coastal mountain ranges in this area - with a visit to the 2000 year old Roman ruins of Baelo Claudia being one of the highlights. This is a part of Spain that I could easily spend a lot of time in and it is definitely worth a visit (my 'General' tip has a map showing how we arrived in the Tarifa area). Why not take a look and decide for yourselves?
- Pros:I like coasts, off-the-beaten-path places and no crowds - it passed with flying colours!
- Cons:Limited infrastructure, likely over-crowded during the 'popular' months
- In a nutshell:Very high marks for waves, wind, mountains, history and friendly people
By this stage of our 3-week Christmas/New Year get-away to Spain, we were past the two week mark and had already covered... more travel advice
No self-respecting Roman town or city could exist without having a Theatre to entertain the local populace, and Baelo... more travel advice
- See All Castillo de Guzmán el Bueno
- The supermarkets are very nice
- See All Christmas decorations
- Church of San Mateo
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!"
- "Tarifa - Costa de la Luz"
- "Tarifa - the city of the wind"
- "The REAL windy Tarifa"
- "Keeweechic's Tarifa"
- "Wind City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Hotels in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Transportation in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Nightlife in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Restaurants in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Shopping in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- 26 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Tarifa (Cadiz)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarifa (Cadiz)
- updated a Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Page "Awesome Tarifa - wild and interesting!"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Tarifa (Cadiz) tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "'Walking' sand dunes"
- Wrote a Review A map of Tarifa's location in Tarifa (Cadiz) Favorites
Photos in Tarifa (Cadiz)See All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos