"Torremolinos - it was a two-time haven for us!" Top 5 Page for this destination Torremolinos by Bwana_Brown

Torremolinos Travel Guide: 437 reviews and 1,584 photos

Torremolinos was where Sue and I spent our first real vacation night in Spain, after spending a combined three nights 'going through the motions' in Madrid and Alicante. This was the launch pad for our real explorations in Andalusia - and what a great trip it turned out to be!

Strangely enough, our first night in Torremolinos was due to the need to meet and pick up Sue's sister who was flying in from England on a late flight. The hostal we booked in Torremolinos happens to be only a few minutes drive from the airport and it turned out to be a very beautiful little spot with excellent hosts! However, that was it, we were gone the next morning, heading off inland to explore the big cities - Granada, Seville, Cadiz...

Almost two weeks later, by which time Sue's sister had returned to England and we had been on our own for a while with no accommodations booked, it was New Year's Eve and we did not know if we had any chance to find a place to stay at all. "Right", we said after finishing up our tour of Gibraltar, "let's just boot it up the coast to Torremolinos to see if they have a room for us tonight" - it worked!

In the end, we never did much in Torremolinos itself due to the traffic congestion (other than a supermarket shopping trip on the first stay and internet catch-up on the next stay). We prefer the wide-open spaces when exploring, so used our final stay there as a jumping-off point for a day-trip into the spectacular mountains located within easy driving distance. The details are in my 'Things To Do' tips, but could easily have been 'Off the Beaten Path' because we found a great little wonder in the seldom-travelled hills that was almost as spectacular as Ronda! My first 'General' tip provides a map of our travels in southern Spain and points out the location of Torremolinos and our drive in the mountains.

• Pros:We found a great little hostal located close to Malaga's airport
  • Cons:Too close to big and bustling Malaga
  • In a nutshell:We made the most of it but got away from the busy coast with drives away from it all - into the spectacular mountains!
  • Last visit to Torremolinos: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM

This was my first overseas trip and loved it, and found I needed more culture. YOu did a fine job as always in describing the area and the beauty.

• Oct 17, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Thanks for your postings/pix - im taking my partner away to torremolinos for her birthday and the trip up to Alhama de Granada looks superb !

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Great descriptions and photos. Great accommodation tip. It's easy to see how much you enjoyed the trip to Spain.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM

memorable day trip, great pictures, lovely little towns complete with gorge. and it seems that chinese food all over europe is very good. nice.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM

How that I missed this page before? What impressive views of the Sierra Nevada! Not long ago I was in Colombian Sierra Nevada area and can tell you, that looks fantastic as well. Lovely hostal that you stayed! And oh, I've always enjoyed picnics! :)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM

hotels seem so cheap in spain

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM

It was only a few weeks ago when reading your Rhonda pages that I realised what a great location Torremolinos is for day trips. We had 2 nights there Sept'08 after Morocco as the coach took us to Madrid.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Nothing better than eating on the road, Glenn. Looks like you have had some wonderful travel months while I've been away. I hope to catch up a bit soon now that things are settling down here.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2009 at 1:54 AM

"Trekki" pointed out your pages to me. I will be leaving for Torremolinos at the end of this month and staying for 6 months. I've been there before, but it will be nice to see the surrounding areas as well. Greetings from Iceland, Regína Hrönn

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Torremolinos gets such a bad name so it's great to see that it has a different side, even if you have to drive out of town to find it! I enjoyed taking the vrtual tour with you, and your two very different restaurant tips :-)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Torremolinos

Have you been to Torremolinos?