"One beautiful little 'White' village!" Top 5 Page for this destination Vejer de la Frontera by Bwana_Brown
Vejer de la Frontera Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 276 photos
In late-December, 2008 Sue and I managed to spend three nights on Spain's very beautiful Atlantic coast along the Strait of Gibraltar, and one of those nights was in Vejer de la Frontera, one of the country's most spectacular 'white villages'. Located atop a 190-m mountain a short distance inland from the coast for defensive purposes, this view was taken from the balcony of our hostal as we gazed out over the surrounding countryside at another white village located on its own peak!
With a population of only 13,000 souls, Vejer is a friendly and compact spot with a history that goes back hundreds of centuries. The town came under Moorish rule in the year 711 and it lasted for more than 500 years until the Christian conquest - with the Moorish influence still readily apparent in the architecture everywhere you look. Between exploring the streets of the town itself, checking out the beach and lighthouse at nearby Cape Trafalgar and exploring the 2000-year old Roman ruins at Baelo Claudia, we certainly had a very enjoyable stay in Vejer de la Frontera!
We had been in Spain for 13 days and had already covered most of the 'orange' roads on this map (Sue's sister had joined... more travel advice
When we travel, we like to be independent to do our own thing and it usually involves getting off the beaten path. As a... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Vejer de la Frontera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the whitest nicest villages in the south"
- "One beautiful little 'White' village!"
- "VEJER DE LA FRONTERA"
- "A STRONG MOORISH CHARACTER"
- "Vejer De La Frontera."
- "WOW Vejer de la Frontera - Puebla Blanco"
- "Molinos, Mountains, Meandering...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vejer de la Frontera
- Hotels in Vejer de la Frontera
- Transportation in Vejer de la Frontera
- Nightlife in Vejer de la Frontera
- Restaurants in Vejer de la Frontera
- Shopping in Vejer de la Frontera
- Warnings and Dangers in Vejer de la Frontera
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vejer de la Frontera
- 18 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Vejer de la Frontera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vejer de la Frontera
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s Vejer de la Frontera travel pages
- Wrote a Review Our route in southwestern Spain in Vejer de la Frontera Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our route in southwestern Spain"
- updated a Vejer de la Frontera Travel Page "One beautiful little 'White' village!"
Photos in Vejer de la FronteraSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos