"Kouchibouguac - Coastal dunes & forest biking" Kouchibouguac National Park by Bwana_Brown

It was time for my annual summer biking trip with my buddy Russell, so we decided it was high time that we visited the lesser known of the two National Parks in my home province of New Brunswick, that is - Kouchibouguac National Park. The park literature itself best describes the attractions that can be found in this very peaceful and enjoyable location:

"Welcome to this special Canadian Heritage protected area. One of two wilderness Canadian national parks in New Brunswick, Kouchibouguac is a fascinating mosaic of bogs, salt marshes, tidal rivers, sparkling freshwater systems, sheltered lagoons, abandoned fields and tall forests which characterizes the Maritime Plain Natural Region. Natural wonders abound in this Park that boasts the second largest tern colony in North America. As well, the 25 kilometres of shifting sand dunes are home to the endangered piping plover and witness to colonies of both harbour and grey seals that frolic in the sunshine on certain sections of the dunes. The name Kouchibouguac (Kou-she-boo-gwack) is of Mi’kmaq origin and means “river of the long tides”. Established in 1969, this 238 square kilometre national park provides a host of exciting family activities. The 60 kilometres of cycling paths are always popular with both hikers and cyclists. Canoeing/kayaking, swimming, camping, bird watching, as well as cross country skiing, snowshoeing and tobogganing in winter are also available in this natural land of enchantment located on New Brunswick’s eastern coast line."

After a slightly delayed start to our explorations, due to overnight rain, we spent a great weekend here in the sunshine with temperatures in the mid-20 C range. In fact, I had so much fun here that my wife and I made a return visit two weekends later on another couple of sunny and 27 C days! This second time around, I had a closer look at some of the Hiking trails that Russ and I had missed out on. Check out this Park's attractions in my tips below!

• Pros:Peaceful forests and an amazing beach!
  • Cons:The bugs can be a problem at times
  • In a nutshell:A great place to sample Maritimes wilderness
  • Last visit to Kouchibouguac National Park: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2008

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I love the contrast between the green interior and sandy coastline! I'm not a biker but the various trails look lovely and I know we'd enjoy a visit here. I could do without the jellyfish though - I was once stung by one and it's not an experience I wish to repeat ;-) The seafood in the restaurants, on the other hand, sounds wonderful!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I don’t know what I would do if I come across a bear on my biking tours!! Must be weird! I enjoyed this page about a park with such a pretty name; you always make me wanting to visit the places you describe Glenn.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM

and interesting page & great pics, Glen ! It is a pity that this part of Canada is still missing on my map :-((

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Amazing adventures Glenn!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 8:24 AM

Beautiful page for a beautiful place: very tempting, as I could reach it in two days' driving.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM

We planned to go here when we were in New Brunswick but we ended up trying to outrun the remnants of a hurricane. Your page is the next best thing! Exceptional info & pictures:)

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 2:51 AM

Your detail and descriptions are superb! I felt I was there riding with you haha. Loved the bit re the jelly fish too... NOT nice to be stung by one! Thanks for an excellent page! Jen x

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Wonderful page! The park looks like an excellent place for biking, as if made for it. Very green, too! Corinne

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 7:05 AM

A great place for an outing. Very interesting page and nice photos. I love to watch the little birds scurrying up and down the beach.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 11:56 AM

if i were a biker, this is where i would go...

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Kouchibouguac National Park

Have you been to Kouchibouguac National Park?