"Kouchibouguac - Coastal dunes & forest biking" Kouchibouguac National Park by Bwana_Brown
Kouchibouguac National Park Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 47 photos
It was time for my annual summer biking trip with my buddy Russell, so we decided it was high time that we visited the lesser known of the two National Parks in my home province of New Brunswick, that is - Kouchibouguac National Park. The park literature itself best describes the attractions that can be found in this very peaceful and enjoyable location:
"Welcome to this special Canadian Heritage protected area. One of two wilderness Canadian national parks in New Brunswick, Kouchibouguac is a fascinating mosaic of bogs, salt marshes, tidal rivers, sparkling freshwater systems, sheltered lagoons, abandoned fields and tall forests which characterizes the Maritime Plain Natural Region. Natural wonders abound in this Park that boasts the second largest tern colony in North America. As well, the 25 kilometres of shifting sand dunes are home to the endangered piping plover and witness to colonies of both harbour and grey seals that frolic in the sunshine on certain sections of the dunes. The name Kouchibouguac (Kou-she-boo-gwack) is of Mi’kmaq origin and means “river of the long tides”. Established in 1969, this 238 square kilometre national park provides a host of exciting family activities. The 60 kilometres of cycling paths are always popular with both hikers and cyclists. Canoeing/kayaking, swimming, camping, bird watching, as well as cross country skiing, snowshoeing and tobogganing in winter are also available in this natural land of enchantment located on New Brunswick’s eastern coast line."
After a slightly delayed start to our explorations, due to overnight rain, we spent a great weekend here in the sunshine with temperatures in the mid-20 C range. In fact, I had so much fun here that my wife and I made a return visit two weekends later on another couple of sunny and 27 C days! This second time around, I had a closer look at some of the Hiking trails that Russ and I had missed out on. Check out this Park's attractions in my tips below!
- Pros:Peaceful forests and an amazing beach!
- Cons:The bugs can be a problem at times
- In a nutshell:A great place to sample Maritimes wilderness
It was early on a Saturday afternoon (2 weeks after my visit with Russ) when my wife and I arrived in the Park,... more travel advice
I had not had the time to sample the Hiking trails during my previous excursion to the Park, so took the opportunity to... more travel advice
- See All I Liked the Wine Cellar!
- See All Aboriginal Culture
- The Insects Can Be Tricky!
- See All Kouchibouguac National Park is Located...
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Kouchibouguac National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kouchibouguac - Coastal dunes & forest biking"
- Create a Kouchibouguac National Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Hotels in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Transportation in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Restaurants in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Shopping in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kouchibouguac National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kouchibouguac National Park
- 37 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Kouchibouguac National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kouchibouguac National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- updated a Kouchibouguac National Park Travel Page "Kouchibouguac - Coastal dunes & forest biking"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kouchibouguac - Coastal dunes & forest biking"
- Wrote a Review Refreshing Waters! in Kouchibouguac National Park Things to Do
Photos in Kouchibouguac National ParkSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos