"Luanshya - what a beautiful town it was!" Luanshya by Bwana_Brown
Luanshya Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 51 photos
Luanshya, what can I say about this little mining town in the middle of nowhere in Zambia, Africa!? At 23 years old, I was invincible and had just graduated from university and suddenly here I was in fabled Africa - how could it possibly get any better?
I had the time of my life while living there, learning about and exploring this continent that I had read so much about but had thought that I would only ever experience through movies or books. Not only that, I became part of a championship softball team and the experience of living on another continent taught me to always pay attention to the people, animals, plants and everything around you. I had the most dangerous experience of my life during a break-in there (I think the guys were high on drugs) but also the greatest happiness, as I met and married my wife Susan - we are now coming up on 33 years of togetherness!
Previously, in New Brunswick, Canada, I had completed my 12 years of schooling followed by another 5 years of university to obtain my degree in Electrical Engineering. I had done what had to be done to get my 'piece of paper' and now I intended to see what 'real' life was all about! I was not interested in a Masters degree or the usual job offers that were available - my heart was set on Africa! Not having any actual job experience, I applied to the Canadian University Service Overseas volunteer agency, simply specifying that the job must be in 'Africa'. A couple of weeks later they told me I would be teaching electrical technology subjects at the Zambia Institute of Technology in Luanshya, Zambia - leaving in about 3 months time! That was exciting news!
This is just a flashback to what Luanshya was like way back then in the early 1970s - but we are hoping to return sometime soon!
- Pros:The best time of my life
- Cons:Things have not gotten better for Zambians
- In a nutshell:It was a bygone era
Luanshya was quite well stocked with places to go for evening entertainment. With it being a mining town, the company... more travel advice
In the Copperbelt area of Zambia, softball was a big sport in the early 1970s. Teams competed from the various mining... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Luanshya Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Luanshya
- Hotels in Luanshya
- Transportation in Luanshya
- Nightlife in Luanshya
- Restaurants in Luanshya
- Warnings and Dangers in Luanshya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Luanshya
- 25 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Luanshya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luanshya
Photos in LuanshyaSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos