"Beautiful Capital of South Africa" Top 5 Page for this destination Pretoria by Bwana_Brown

Pretoria Travel Guide: 403 reviews and 731 photos

The Pretoria area was home to my wife and I for four days during mid-October, 1995 as a result of my participation in an International Conference dealing with Large Electric Power Systems. Although we actually stayed at a conference centre, located in Sandton, about half-way between Pretoria and Johannesburg, we had the chance to venture into Pretoria and also the outskirts of Joburg. It was great to be back in Africa again, our first time in 14 years (since Kenya, 1981), enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of this great continent! This photo shows the city of Pretoria, nestled in its valley below the pedestrian walkway at the impressive Union Buildings, where Nelson Mandela had his offices at that time.

This page details 'Part 0' of our trip while we were here for business. After this, we took off on our car rental excursion through Part 1 (Sabie in the northern Drakensberg mountains), Part 2 (Kruger National Park), Swaziland and Part 3 (KwaZulu-Natal on the Indian Ocean)!

• Last visit to Pretoria: Oct 1995
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2004

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 11:55 PM

A well-deserved top 5 page, Glenn. You certainly made the most of this visit.Every time that I see a Jacaranda I think of Pretoria. Glorious.And how good that you found your old friends!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM

The beautiful jacaranda is quite popular in this part of the world too :~)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Can't say visiting a prison comes to mind when I imagine Africa but fascination account of his getting shot by snipers and the Boers.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 10:58 PM

The jacaranda trees look lovely, wish we had them here. Not the wire-topped fences though. A rather disturbing story of the prisoner, wish it had a happy ending.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2007 at 1:16 PM

The name shabeen looks a little Irish for around here = have heard the Jacaranda trees are spectacular in spring + lovely colours too

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 9:48 AM

I used to have an aunt living in Pretoria but I never made it there before she died. Interesting story about the prisoner! Thanks for sharing it.

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Pretoria was one of the few places we did not visit in RSA. Very nice photos you have!

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2006 at 2:28 PM

Very informative page.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 1:59 AM

Looks like you had a great and very interesting time here! I missed Pretoria and most of Jo´burg because of its bad reputation. Really would like to see the lila trees.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 5:16 AM

Interesting page with interesting infos about it.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Pretoria

Have you been to Pretoria?

Latest Activity in Pretoria