"Nestled in the Drakensberg Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Sabie by Bwana_Brown

Sabie Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 56 photos

After 5 days in the Johannesburg area on business, it was a real joy to escape in our rental car to the majestic Drakensberg Mountains! We had booked ourselves into a fantastic B&B in the little logging town of Sabie, located where the highveld of the mountains meets the lowveld along the western boundary of Kruger National Park. Although we only spent 2 days exploring this area, it was a great way to really get into our South African trip before moving on to Kruger for the next stage. The Sabie area really is worth a visit to sample the delights of its mountain air and views, waterfalls, the Blyde River Canyon and an historic old mining village. And this was only the start of our great 2-week road excursion exploring fabulous South Africa! This photo looking down at a lake in the Blyde River Canyon was taken during a hazy day as rain clouds were starting to move in.

• Pros:Fresh mountain atmosphere
  • Cons:We did not find any!
  • In a nutshell:Nice to get a taste of the mountains before the Game Park!
  • Last visit to Sabie: Oct 1995
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2004

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Amazingly I drove around this area but didn’t have the time to stop at Sabie.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM

LOL! Glenn- you seem to be having fun in that bathtub! Great page on Sabie. The Drakensberg is certainly a beaut area of SA. Lovely photos have captured your adventure perfectly. Regards.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 4:38 AM

Great page! We were here injanuary :) Thoughts of living here when we return to SA, but decided on White River/Nelspruit, or Stellenbosch/Franschoek. Nothing like a glass of SA red in the bath ;)

• morne's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Great page on Sabie mate

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Nonsense! They have more accomodative tours as well. Truthfully, I would do one of those the next time I went. The crowd was a bit TOO young! It rained when I was here too. At least you got a view at God's Window :)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Playing Tarzan might be tough but drinking red wine a hot bath tub has to be more so. Think I discovered one of your old adventures I'd not seen and wish I could find a $1.50 car wash now.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 6:43 AM

I've never heard of Sabie, but I have heard of the Drakensberg Mountains. However, I never knew how spectacular they are. Hope to go there someday on a birdwatching trip.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 10:29 PM

Going there in 2 weeks time, cannot wait. ;-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 7:59 AM

ah what a lovely page _I seem to have walked in on you in the bath! - btw there has been a glitch on VT - striking at random

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM

Wonderful scenery, which at places reminds me of Norway, but only a little. The colourful trees look so picturesque and I wouldn't mind meeting some baboons myself. Thanks for this virtual African adventure, I really enjoyed it.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Sabie