"My travels around North America" Top 5 Page for this destination North America by Bwana_Brown

North America Travel Guide: 356,051 reviews and 833,772 photos

To summarize North America, comprising Canada, the United States of America, Mexico and Greenland, on a single small page is quite a task! However, I will attempt to give you my quite favourable impressions of this diverse continent based on my travel experiences throughout its expanse during the last 30-odd years. Our journey will begin on the western shores where the Pacific Ocean laps and, moving from north to south and west to east, will gradually take you across North America to the Atlantic Ocean coast where European explorers first encountered this unknown land and its native inhabitants 1000 years ago. The landscape will vary from the sunny and warm Pacific shores, to the rugged Rocky Mountains running the length of the continent, then into the vast flatlands comprising its centre and finally the gentler peaks and forests of the east before the Atlantic shores are reached. This 2006 view was taken from inside the majestic Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton Lakes National Park (Alberta, Canada) looking down Upper Waterton Lake into Glacier National Park (Montana, USA).

The eastern half

Due to the effects of long ago scouring of the landscape by Ice Age glaciers and the much later ‘early’ settlements by Europeans, the more heavily settled eastern half of the continent is less dramatic in its natural wonders but more abundant in historical sites than the west. However, this half of the continent has great attractions of its own, including the amazing autumn colours of the dying tree leaves. Just like western North America, it is laced with geological wonders, lakes, rivers and streams of all descriptions, making for some very scenic locations to enjoy. Although its peaks are not as high, the gently rolling inland areas of forests and farmlands as well as scenic rocky coastlines dotted with picturesque lighthouses and small fishing ports go a long way toward making up for it! If you ever get the chance and have the time for 8000-km (5000-miles), take a drive from one coast to the other!

My 'Things to Do' tips

This topographical map of North America shows where my various 'Things to Do' tips are actually located within the continent, with the first ten of these tips coloured differently than the remainder. As of November, 2007 I finally managed (by means of various trips over the years) to complete the last leg in driving all the way across the continent from Tip 21 to Tip 1 in this map!

• Pros:More mountains, forests and oceans than you could wish for
  • Cons:Long distances, can be crowded in some parts during summer
  • In a nutshell:Something here for everyone
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2009

• rond1's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Hi there, I wonder if you could offer some guidance on a USA trip my wife and I wish to embark on over a three to four month period. We are from South Africa, love RVing rather than staying at hotels etc. With so many options i cannt make up my mind which route to take that will offer the most in terms of visual stimulation, things to do, Unesco sites to see, museums, historical cities / towns ( be it political, cultural, historical, musical, etc. With only around 90 travelling days we are looking to try fit in as much as possible. Our thoughts are to restrict travelling to no more than 350 miles a day if possible. Our intention is to stay away from Camp sites so as to save on accommodation ( we are looking to purchase a small RV on a buy-back scheme ( also some guidance required if you have any thoughts) .
    Please be so kind as to offer direction etc .... all the best for now Ron

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Jan 16, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Hello Ron. That sounds like quite an extensive trip to the USA that you are planning. As requested, I will try to give you some information based on my USA travels, but it will have to wait for a day or so because we have a commitment out of town today. Regards, Glenn

• rond1's Profile Photo
      Jan 16, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Hi and thanks for the response. No problems, I can surely wait until you have more time . be well otherwise and looking forward to hearing form you. regards Ron... we are thinking of travelling around 23 000 km ....

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Bwana, I enjoyed your description of my part of North America; the Great Plains. Not everyone can appreciate this area but you obviously can, and did! Happy travels to you.

• moonlighting's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Very, very grand pages! Thanks for sharing. I have a question: is Vermont accessible from San Francisco? I'm planning a short winter vacation in one of the northern states december 2010 or january 2011.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM

You wrote a « book of the marvels » of North America Glenn. I visited few of the places, so much more to see. . . . This is an incredible page and the way you present this continent just makes me wanting to change my next destination! Mille mercis, Glenn.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 4:50 AM

Excellent hilights of North America. Each region is unique in the landscape and cultural background.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2008 at 1:45 AM

Hi, Glenn! Great stories, you have seen quite a lot I must say! Good for you! I wish you many more happy travels in 2008!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 11:22 AM

What, no Chicago???? Except for that HUGE omission (ha ha), very nice coverage of your travels in North America :-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 4:52 PM

This is brilliant, Glenn. One of the best VT pages I've seen. The organization and presentation is a real tour de force. Congratulations! leyle

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Fantastic page Glenn! There is so much great nature in North America. The Rocky Mountains and the Grand Canyon are places I wanted to visit for a long time, but now I have also added Gros Morne NP.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 7:11 PM

What a great page, Glenn. Some really fascinating reading and terrific pictures. You've captured some of the most wonderful scenes & places in North America!!

Bwana_Brown Was Born Here!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in North America

• 1,650 Reviews
  • 3,205 Photos
  • 3 Countries

Have you been to North America?