"Angoram - on the Mighty Sepik River" Angoram by Bwana_Brown
Angoram Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
My trip to Angoram was a short side-adventure from one of my visits to the power station at Wewak, on the north coast of Papua New Guinea. Although a 113-km (66-mile) road will get you there, after a scenic 3-4 hour drive, weather permitting, I flew in via a charter airplane to deal with a small problem at the local diesel generating station.
Angoram itself is a small town, consisting of a few banks and stores and with one main hotel. The town arose as one of the first adminstrative centres to be developed inland from the north coast of the country, and is located about 80-km upstream on the banks of the Sepik River, close to where the tributary Keram River joins. The Sepik River is one of the greatest in the world, draining a huge area in the north of PNG as it winds its way from the central mountains and through tropical rainforest for 1130-km (660-miles). The brown waters of this slow-moving river push 50-km (30-miles) out into the Bismarck Sea before the Pacific Ocean is able to tame them!
Angoram actually makes for quite a convenient jumping-off spot for explorations in this very remote part of our globe. In my case, I had a one-night stand and was back on the airplane the next day. This view toward the mouth of the Sepik gives some idea of the size of the river, even this far inland. Please see my 'General Tips' for a map showing the location of Angoram.
- Pros:A good exploration base for this exotic part of the world
- Cons:A very distant and expensive place to reach
- In a nutshell:You are really going to have to go out of your way to get here!
With the central 14,000+ foot (4400-m) mountain ranges dividing Papua New Guinea into northern and southern zones, at... more travel advice
If you get a chance to spend some time in Angoram, you would be well-advised to take advantage of the situation and head... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Angoram
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Angoram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angoram
Photos in AngoramSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos