"Goroka - in the Eastern Highlands" Goroka by Bwana_Brown
Goroka Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos
Goroka is the capital and administrative center of the Eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea. Growing from a small station situated in this remote area in 1950, the population of this busy commercial center has now reached about 25,000 people. It is the first and largest of the cities you will encounter when travelling from the coast into this mountainous area of PNG. Located at an elevation of 1600-m (5200-ft), the climate of Goroka is quite pleasantly cool and not as humid as in the coastal regions of the country. Please see my 'General Tips' for a map showing the location of Goroka.
Surrounded by cultivated lands in the meadows and mountain slopes, agriculture plays a big part in the local economy, especially growing coffee. There are numerous tribes located in and around the city, and their presence has enabled Goroka to develop as a tourist magnet. Tens of thousands of warriors dressed in their finest put on quite a display at the annual Goroka Show.
Business drew me here a few times during my 3-years in PNG, sometimes by road from Lae and sometimes directly by air from Port Moresby. It was always something to do with keeping the lights on, so there was not much time for 'tourist' activities!
Here, outside the Bird of Paradise Hotel, one of the locals is posing with his regalia. It includes a cuscus fur band on his head, kina seashell and bone in his nose, beads and a folded piece of fabric known as a 'lap-lap' down his front, held in place by a bamboo belt tied around his waist (and, out of sight, usually long sheafs of grass also tucked into the belt to cover his a**).
- Pros:Nice Weather & Lots of Attractions
- Cons:Remote and Expensive
- In a nutshell:Quite an Experience!
Goroka is located in the central mountain ranges which run the length of New Guinea from east to west. Mt. Wilhelm, the... more travel advice
The Highlands Highway from coastal Lae, Papua New Guinea's second largest city, up into the mountain ranges was quite a... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Goroka
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Goroka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goroka
Photos in GorokaSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos