"Kainantu" Kainantu by Bwana_Brown

Kainantu Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos

It had been almost 16-months since we had landed in Papua New Guinea, and my wife had only experienced one short trip outside of the hot, dry and isolated enclave of Port Moresby. Meanwhile, I had been all over the country from one end to the other, experiencing both tropical islands and the refreshing coolness of the central Highlands areas.

When another working trip to the Highlands surfaced, I thought it was time to bring my family along for the week, since the children were on a school break and I had free housing available at the Electricity Commission hydro facilities at the Ramu Dam. Having been there a few times already, I knew the pleasant climatic conditions would be a real change after the Capital city!

It worked out great! After flying over the central 14000+ foot dividing mountain range, we saw some nice scenery during our drive up from the north coast of the country. The people of the Highlands were friendly and it was nice to see what these more rural areas of the country looked like. This part of Papua New Guinea was only 'discovered' by white explorers in the late 1920s when Australians came looking for gold. Instead, they were astounded to find the broad open alpine meadows full of many villages and tribes taking advantage of the fertile soil. Kainantu was set up as one of the first government outposts in the early 1930s. Check out my page to see some of the sights, starting with the 'General Tips' if you want to have a look at a map of the area.

• Pros:Nice climate, great scenery
  • Cons:Security has deteriorated over the years
  • In a nutshell:Still the experience of a lifetime!
  • Last visit to Kainantu: Jan 1981
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2005

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Things may have changed since your time there, Glenn, but the highlands are calling me more and more. . . . I dream of visiting the high mountains of Papua since long, and your page gets me closer :)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Glenn, fabulous page with great photos and impressive stories about your adventures in Kainantu.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 12:16 AM

It must have been quite an adventure to travel to Papua Newguinea in the early 80s! Great Page!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM

What an adventure, what a page! You really found the perfect traveling mate in Sue: my wife wouldn't take a baby to France! Have a wonderful weekend, and thank you for dropping by my tiny VA page.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM

It's great that you were able to get away from work occasionally and see some of the back country of PNG.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Another fascinating page from you. You were lucky not only to be able to explore the area but first of all to get to know the locals a little.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 9:56 PM

Another fascinating page from the past, Glenn, though I suspect there has been little change since your time there.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 9:23 PM

I love reading pages like this which are so interesting and gives a true indication on how people live around the world.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2005 at 8:57 PM

indeed interesting..good old times LOL, the intro pic is a cutie! tks Glenn..also for Picton

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 11:40 PM

What a fascinating way to look back at the "good old times" !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Kainantu

Have you been to Kainantu?

Latest Activity in Kainantu