"Kainantu" Kainantu by Bwana_Brown
Kainantu Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 18 photos
It had been almost 16-months since we had landed in Papua New Guinea, and my wife had only experienced one short trip outside of the hot, dry and isolated enclave of Port Moresby. Meanwhile, I had been all over the country from one end to the other, experiencing both tropical islands and the refreshing coolness of the central Highlands areas.
When another working trip to the Highlands surfaced, I thought it was time to bring my family along for the week, since the children were on a school break and I had free housing available at the Electricity Commission hydro facilities at the Ramu Dam. Having been there a few times already, I knew the pleasant climatic conditions would be a real change after the Capital city!
It worked out great! After flying over the central 14000+ foot dividing mountain range, we saw some nice scenery during our drive up from the north coast of the country. The people of the Highlands were friendly and it was nice to see what these more rural areas of the country looked like. This part of Papua New Guinea was only 'discovered' by white explorers in the late 1920s when Australians came looking for gold. Instead, they were astounded to find the broad open alpine meadows full of many villages and tribes taking advantage of the fertile soil. Kainantu was set up as one of the first government outposts in the early 1930s. Check out my page to see some of the sights, starting with the 'General Tips' if you want to have a look at a map of the area.
- Pros:Nice climate, great scenery
- Cons:Security has deteriorated over the years
- In a nutshell:Still the experience of a lifetime!
Kainantu is the first major settlement you will encounter upon driving up into the Highlands. The quickest way to get... more travel advice
Not much later, we came across this couple meandering along the side of the unsealed back-country road we were... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Kainantu Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kainantu
- Hotels in Kainantu
- Transportation in Kainantu
- Nightlife in Kainantu
- Shopping in Kainantu
- Warnings and Dangers in Kainantu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kainantu
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Kainantu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kainantu
Photos in KainantuSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos