"Madang - Papua New Guinea's "Resort"" Madang by Bwana_Brown
Madang Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 13 photos
Of all the many places in Papua New Guinea that I managed to visit during my 3-years in the country, Madang struck me as the closest thing to a traditional Western type of resort location. Along with its beautiful location along the north coast of the country (see my 'General Tips' for a map) the city also has quite a long history, by PNG standards.
Although there is evidence of early contact with Chinese and Korean traders, the first European sighting of the north coast of New Guinea was by a Spaniard in 1528. In fact, the island was named New Guinea in 1545 by another Spaniard, Inigo Ortiz de Retes, who followed along the coastline and thought that the inhabitants he saw resembled those from the Guinea coast of Africa. The 'modern' history of Madang began in 1871 when Nikolai Miklouho-Maclay, a Russian explorer, naturalist and ethnographer, landed there. He remained for 3-years, studying the physical characteristics and culture of the local tribes. In 1884, the German New Guinea Company arrived and began to plant extensive plantations of tobacco, cotton and coffee near Madang. Architectural remnants from the German period of occupation (1884-1915) are still evident in the town today.
The popularity of Madang with tourists remains even to this day, long after I was last there. With plenty of local culture to experience, abundant off-shore reefs and volcanic islands, combined with its proximity to the mighty Sepik River flowing out of the mysterious heartland of Papua New Guinea, there is no shortage of things to enjoy.
My wife made a visit here with one of her lady friends from Port Moresby while I had to 'rough it' with 3-4 business trips! If you plan to head to mainland PNG in the near future, this could be a good bet!
- Pros:Diverse attractions
- Cons:Humid, Remote & the usual security issues
- In a nutshell:Not bad if you are staying in a resort!
The easiest and most common way to reach Madang is by aircraft, usually from Port Moresby after about a 1-hour flight... more travel advice
There are lots of opportunities to purchase local artifacts while in Madang. In fact, the Madang Resort Hotel has a... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Madang
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Madang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madang
Photos in MadangSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos