Port Moresby Favorite Tips by Bwana_Brown Top 5 Page for this destination
Port Moresby Favorites: 6 reviews and 8 photos
Some of the Staff at 'Test Branch'
Favorite thing: A view of the Elcom 'Test Branch' office where I worked for the first two years of my contract before being promoted to a new job at Head Office in the Boroko suburb. The task of Test Branch personnel was to travel around the mountains, jungles and islands of Papua New Guinea fixing up whatever transmission or generation problems were plaguing the many small stations scattered all over the country.
This was quite a nice office to work in, and the staff were friendly. Because it was air-conditioned and houses were not, my family and I would sometimes come here on the weekends to escape from some of the really hot days!
Fondest memory: When I was not in the field, I sat on the left side by the red in/out trays. Shown here from left to right are Moses Aihi and Palom Pital (our office clerks), Mark Fleming (our Australian 'Communications Engineer' for the radio system) and Noel Mohiba (Assistant Comms Eng.). We never had a secretary so my typing speed picked up immensely while working here! I had about a dozen technicians (English, Australian and Kiwis, but mostly Papuans) working for me as they scoured the countryside looking for problems!
Ela Beach - a Relaxing Spot
Favorite thing: Around the point from the main harbour, is Ela Beach where most of the frolicking took place. This view shows a distant view of the many colourful sails of out-rigger canoes after they landed on the beach during the opening ceremonies of the 3rd South Pacific Festival of Arts. There are also a few smoke streamers in the air from fireworks going off.
To get to this beach from our house, we had to come down off those hills in the distance, drive past a fishing village built on stilts and then round the point of dark land in the middle-right of the photo. The street led from that point along the shoreline to Ela Beach.
The Main Harbour
Favorite thing: Port Moresby was developed because of its very good natural harbour, called Fairfax Harbour. This view was taken over the top of some banana trees from the hillside that leads down into the older part of Port Moresby. Most of the new development was taking place inland and up away from the sea.
Favorite thing: Located in the southeast part of Papua New Guinea and about 10 degrees south of the Equator, Port Moresby lies on the coast of the Coral Sea and in the 'rain shadow' of the Owen Stanley mountain range.
Our home was located a bit south and west of the red 'airport' symbol and we did a lot of our mountain getaways in the general area indicated by 'Sirinumu Dam'. Our friend's yacht was kept anchored in Bootless Bay to the east of the city, which is over-written by the word 'Taurama'.
More Reviews (37)
- See All Betal Nut 'Juice'
- See All We Survived 3-Years in PNG!
- Boroko Suburbs
- See All Jobs for the Locals
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Port Moresby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- "Papua New Guinean capital"
- "POM+Alotau- Tips from my "end-of-mission" report"
- "Great Little Big Town"
- "Bomana Cemetery"
- "Around PNG"
- "Port Moresby revisited"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Moresby
- Hotels in Port Moresby
- Transportation in Port Moresby
- Nightlife in Port Moresby
- Restaurants in Port Moresby
- Shopping in Port Moresby
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Moresby
- See All...
Explore the World
- Glacier National Park Hotels
- Cumbayá Hotels
- Lake Ontario
- Zoar Hotels
- Hana Hotels
- Donets'ka Oblast'
Badges & Stats in Port Moresby
- 41 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Port Moresby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Moresby
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Commented on one of 1+1's Port Moresby travel pages
- updated a Port Moresby Travel Page "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- Wrote a Review Betal Nut 'Juice' in Port Moresby Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Port MoresbySee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos