"Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Moresby by Bwana_Brown
Port Moresby Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 151 photos
I spent three years in Papua New Guinea, based in it's capital city of Port Moresby, between 1979-1982. I had previously spent 3 years in Zambia and then worked for 4 years in my home province of New Brunswick, Canada before the need for new adventures and a warmer climate struck my wife and I. In response to an advert in the back of an electrical magazine, I applied for and was given a contract job to work for the Papua New Guinea Electricity Commission. The country had become independent only in 1975 and was looking for some technical help in keeping its power system working.
Port Moresby is located in an area called the National Capital District or NCD. It is on the southern coast of the country and surrounds part of Fairfax Harbour and was named after British Captain John Moresby, who discovered its harbour in 1873. The following year a mission station was established at the village of Hanuabada, a traditional Papuan village and home to the Motuan people. The houses of this village still stand on their traditional wooden stilts down on the waterfront. During the Second World War, the small town of Port Moresby was transformed into a large military camp, accommodating tens of thousands of troops during the Pacific campaigns. At the end of the war Port Moresby was the only town of any size left standing in Papua New Guinea and was chosen by the governing Australian administration to be the seat of government. As a result, this magnet has drawn tribal people to it from all over the country and has led to a gradual deterioration of the security situation here as the population has now swollen to about 300,000. It was still manageable during my time in the country but I'm not so sure if it still is.
It was quite an experience living in this remote country and, on this page, I have tried to convey a sense of what it was like living there at that time. For an overview of Port Moresby and surrounding area, check out my 'General' tips.
- Pros:A Different Experience
- Cons:Hot, Humid and Isolated
- In a nutshell:I'm glad I tried it but would not go back again
The 'betal' nut of the areca palm tree contains a mild, central nervous system stimulant called arecoline. In PNG, it... more travel advice
For our final New Year's Eve (bringing in 1982) in Papua New Guinea, we headed out to sea with our Australian friends in... more travel advice
- See All Port Moresby is Located HERE
- Boroko Suburbs
- See All Jobs for the Locals
- See All First Lodgings
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Port Moresby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- "Papua New Guinean capital"
- "POM+Alotau- Tips from my "end-of-mission" report"
- "Bomana Cemetery"
- "Great Little Big Town"
- "Around PNG"
- "Port Moresby revisited"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Moresby
- Hotels in Port Moresby
- Transportation in Port Moresby
- Nightlife in Port Moresby
- Restaurants in Port Moresby
- Shopping in Port Moresby
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Moresby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Moresby
- 41 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Port Moresby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Moresby
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Commented on one of 1+1's Port Moresby travel pages
- updated a Port Moresby Travel Page "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Port Moresby - Hot and Humid!"
- Wrote a Review Betal Nut 'Juice' in Port Moresby Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Port MoresbySee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos