"Wewak - Papua New Guinea's Remote Northern Shores!" Wewak by Bwana_Brown
Wewak Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 15 photos
Wewak is quite a pretty town, located along the palm tree-fringed coastline of East Sepik Province on the northern coast of Papua New Guinea. I managed to visit here about 5 or 6 times during my three-year contract job working for the Papua New Guinea Electricity Commission (Elcom). The available accommodations were nothing too fancy, but quite adequate for a short work visit or as a jumping off spot for exploration in this part of PNG.
The main activities at Wewak involved support for and travel onward into the vast waterlogged rainforest area of the Sepik River, which drains most of the whole of PNG north of the central mountain ranges. Closer at hand were beautiful islands off the coast in the Bismarck Sea, within sight of the town itself. Boat trips could be made to Kairuru Island, the largest one, with its waterfalls, hot-springs and great diving areas. Even today, because of its remoteness, this is a pristine vacation spot - something I did not have the time to do on any of my visits! However, on my wanderings along the beaches in and near the town, I did see some big waves coming ashore on occassion. In fact, these unprotected beaches make for great surfing from September to January, and are quite popular with both locals and tourists.
I found Wewak to be a friendly spot. Of course when you rode into town during situations of rotating blackouts, wearing your Elcom clothes, people were more than happy to assist you in your task of fixing up whatever the problem was! One time, I had a brief stop-over at their Boram Airport with a new employee. We had an hour to spare before our flight departed for its final destination, so I asked the clerk at the car rental agency if I could borrow a vehicle for a few minutes to show him the power station. No problem, away we went for half an hour with no paperwork involved! Please see my 'General Tips' for both high-level and close-up views of Wewak and surrounding areas.
- Pros:A scenic palm-fringed coastal town
- Cons:Security deteriorating
- In a nutshell:A great jumping off point to explore the Sepik River
Located on the northwest coast of Papua New Guinea, Wewak required a fairly long flight from Port Moresby (just off the... more travel advice
Once you get away from the main towns of PNG, you will soon start to see examples of simple accommodations used by the... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Wewak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wewak - Papua New Guinea's Remote Northern Shores!"
- Create a Wewak Travel Page
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wewak
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Wewak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wewak
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- updated a Wewak Travel Page "Wewak - Papua New Guinea's Remote Northern Shores!"
- Wrote a Review Wewak is Located HERE in Wewak Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wewak - Papua New Guinea's Remote Northern Shores!"
Photos in WewakSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos