"Wewak - Papua New Guinea's Remote Northern Shores!" Wewak by Bwana_Brown

Wewak Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 15 photos

Wewak is quite a pretty town, located along the palm tree-fringed coastline of East Sepik Province on the northern coast of Papua New Guinea. I managed to visit here about 5 or 6 times during my three-year contract job working for the Papua New Guinea Electricity Commission (Elcom). The available accommodations were nothing too fancy, but quite adequate for a short work visit or as a jumping off spot for exploration in this part of PNG.

The main activities at Wewak involved support for and travel onward into the vast waterlogged rainforest area of the Sepik River, which drains most of the whole of PNG north of the central mountain ranges. Closer at hand were beautiful islands off the coast in the Bismarck Sea, within sight of the town itself. Boat trips could be made to Kairuru Island, the largest one, with its waterfalls, hot-springs and great diving areas. Even today, because of its remoteness, this is a pristine vacation spot - something I did not have the time to do on any of my visits! However, on my wanderings along the beaches in and near the town, I did see some big waves coming ashore on occassion. In fact, these unprotected beaches make for great surfing from September to January, and are quite popular with both locals and tourists.

I found Wewak to be a friendly spot. Of course when you rode into town during situations of rotating blackouts, wearing your Elcom clothes, people were more than happy to assist you in your task of fixing up whatever the problem was! One time, I had a brief stop-over at their Boram Airport with a new employee. We had an hour to spare before our flight departed for its final destination, so I asked the clerk at the car rental agency if I could borrow a vehicle for a few minutes to show him the power station. No problem, away we went for half an hour with no paperwork involved! Please see my 'General Tips' for both high-level and close-up views of Wewak and surrounding areas.

• Pros:A scenic palm-fringed coastal town
  • Cons:Security deteriorating
  • In a nutshell:A great jumping off point to explore the Sepik River
  • Last visit to Wewak: May 1982
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2005

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2010 at 12:52 PM

A fine place Glenn to relax after some hard graft!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM

What an idyllic place to combine a bit of pleasure with work. i wonder if it remains unspoiled.Had a chuckle- wondering what that elderly couple in the forest were thinking when they stumbled upon you.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Always thought about visiting PNG from Aussie but so many times a bit of unrest pops again and makes it seem a bit too unsure!but lovely to see your pages and hopefully one day I will be there in person!Do you the record for most no of Top 5's?!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Interesting tips about a little known (for me) location.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 6:24 AM

Looks like a beautiful area, but it sure is well off the beaten tourist path.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 12:44 PM

What interesting tips, about a place I can only barely imagine.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Great exotic location too distant to ever become spoilt by tourists. You were really lucky to have been sent there on business. Loved the traditional architecture, the dugout canoes and the leisurely pace of living. Thanks for the wonderful virtual tour.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM

I would love to down 1 or 2 cold ones at Elcom Beach right now..enjoying the rolling sea and the warm sand :-) tks for a facinatic insider page.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 6:01 AM

Another interesting page Glenn. Wow your job sure brought you to some very remote, exotic places.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 3:40 AM

Your pages on PNG really bring out the exotic feeling of the destination. I tried paddling one of those outrigger dugouts in Vanuatu, but although the locals make it look easy I could only go in circles. George

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Wewak