Parque Nacional Tikal Transportation Tips by Bwana_Brown Top 5 Page for this destination
Parque Nacional Tikal Transportation: 30 reviews and 46 photos
Our Driver & Translator
When we opted for our impromptu trip to Tikal, with no Spanish to fall back on, we were not exactly sure what to expect. However, with lots of tips from other travellers at our Trek Stop stay in Belize, we decided to give it our best shot. By 7 AM we were standing on the highway headed for the border when a 'share cab' stopped to pick us up (US$3). As soon as we arrived we were set upon by money changers, in both Belize and the 'no man's land' between border stations. Planning only a short trip, I changed a minimal amount of BZ$300 (US$150) into 1050 Quetzales and got on with the border formalities. Things went well, US$37.50 to exit Belize and ~US$3 to enter Guatemala. Between border posts, we had been approached by a taxi driver, who pointed me to the proper immigration forms for the Guatemalan side. Once we were through, he and I discussed how we were going to continue our journey, since practically everyone else was already attached to a pre-paid tour of some sort. The going rate for a 'taxi' ride to Tikal had been US$60 but had recently been reported as raised to US$75 from our information, so when the driver offered to take us both for US$40 we accepted it after a bit of haggling (after all, we only had one night to play with so did not have a lot of time available to be waiting around!) and we were underway by 8:30 AM (continued next Tip).
'Crocodile's Head' at Lake Petan Itza
The road from the Belize border was unpaved and undergoing extensive repairs for the first ~30 miles, but it was not overly rough and we made relatively good time - the countryside was nice too but you could immediately tell the lower economic standard as compared to Belize. We soon hit pavement and bombed along quite nicely until we pulled over for the scenic shot shown here near El Remate, where the road forks between the town of Flores and Tikal National Park. We paid our US$14 entrance fees (for two) as we entered the outer boundary of the Park and soon covered the remaining 20 miles (30 km) to the Temples, arriving at about 10 AM.
Our transportation guys helped us sort out our accommodations and offered to come back the next afternoon at 2:30 PM to take us back - for the same price (after a bit of bargaining). When they did come back, they had brought a couple of young American customers (from San Igancio) on a day-trip, so we had to wait until these people had finished their touring at ~4:15 PM before we actually headed 'home'. All went smoothly and we were back across the border by 6:15 PM, from where we took a 'share cab' back to our accommodations at the Trek Stop (whose owners had kindly allowed us to leave our large backpacks in our chalet at no charge while we stayed in Tikal with our day-packs!). Our taxi van was operated by ASETUR out of Melchor de Mencos, Peten District and we saw another couple of their vans while in Tikal - no complaints!
More Reviews (26)
- See All Those Cold Beers Tasted Good!
- See All Enjoy the Dense Jungle Surroundings
- See All Darkness Falls Quickly
- Ceiba Trees
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tikal - a Jungle Jewel"
- "Ruins in the jungle"
- "Mayan Mysteries in a Jungle Setting"
- "Tikal--The Mayan World's Greatest City Ever"
- "Parque Nacional Tikal"
- "Jungle Secrets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Hotels in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Transportation in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Shopping in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional Tikal
- See All...
Explore the World
- Almoçageme Hotels
- Situ Gunung Hotels
- Weißenberg Hotels
- Morro del Jable
- Chek Lap Kok Hotels
- Key Biscayne
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional Tikal
- 28 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Parque Nacional Tikal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional Tikal
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Commented on one of Paul2001's Parque Nacional Tikal travel pages
- updated a Parque Nacional Tikal Travel Page "Tikal - a Jungle Jewel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Road to Tikal"
- Wrote a Review Those Cold Beers Tasted Good! in Parque Nacional Tikal Restaurants
Photos in Parque Nacional TikalSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (64)
Latest Parque Nacional Tikal hotel reviews
- Jungle Lodge
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013