"A Short Stay on Ambergris Cay" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambergris Cay by Bwana_Brown

Ambergris Cay Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 401 photos

Ambergris Cay was the second stage of the 3-week vacation trip my wife and I planned and took through various stops in Belize, with a short stay of only two nights in San Pedro (see my 'General' tip for a map of it's location). We had already spent a few nights on the nearby smaller and more laid-back 'Caye Caulker' a few miles to the south, but decided that it just would not be right to miss going to Ambergris when we were this close!

It turned out to be an interesting and relaxing experience as we simply enjoyed exploring around what seemed to be a bustling San Pedro. We had already done some snorkeling on Caulker and had lots of other things lined up for the rest of the trip, so this was a nice 'time out' before we headed off to the mainland on the next stage of our trip - in the area of the Capital city of 'Belmopan'.

• Pros:Lot's of water activities and good restaurants
  • Cons:It seemed quite 'busy' after quiet Caye Caulker
  • In a nutshell:If you are planning to go to Caulker, go to Ambergris first!
  • Last visit to Ambergris Cay: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Those Time-share pitches, always a catch somewhere, even if you don't buy! The bicycle would suit me fine, rather one like that than the newer versions, and like the look of the Casita's. Enjoyable reading, thanks.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Nice to read about your experience in San Pedro after having been there myself & funny to see I'm not the only one who felt overwhelmed after spending time in quiet and laidback Caye Caulker!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 6:15 PM

The name interests me - any signs of whales there? It sound a good place for a vacation away from a Canadian winter! leyle

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Relaxing on the beach - this is something we all need from time to time. Rum drinks for heat exhaustion? - have never done it but I'm going to try. Another surprise - you don't own a mobile - I had to buy one last year but use it only for emergencies.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Relaxing in a hammock just watching the beach activities & reading sounds fine to me in an exotic location :) I can just imagine the silent traffic hazzards around here!!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Winter here, so your page on this tropical hideaway started me thinking again of travel! Very enjoyable, just as well you were awake to the 'time share' scam - one I've not encountered.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Your fantastic descriptions recalled to memory some wonderful moments of my visit :) If I'm not mistaken, I was passing by your hotel frequently since I was staying in b&b close by. At that time there was still much more quiet on the island.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 7:33 AM

Looks like a nice place to relax and not do too much. Fascinating how the Mayans made Ambergris Cay into an island.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Haha, the time-share trap! I once won a period somewhere in Spain. I had to go at an aperitif session with 2 dozens of winners, each harassed by 2 nice girls trying to make their living. We felt guilty not to sign but succeeded to escape after 1 hour!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Great descriptions as usual, Glenn. I don´t know how I could have missed some of your Belize pages. Will check them all as appetizer before we will go there ourselves end of this year.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Ambergris Cay

Have you been to Ambergris Cay?

Latest Activity in Ambergris Cay