"Belize City - I've Seen Better!" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City by Bwana_Brown

Belize City Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 495 photos

We had originally planned to spend only a minimal amount of time in Belize City - one night on arrival in the country and another the night before we left three weeks later. However, last minute changes to our incoming Delta Airlines flight resulted in us spending only our final night in Belize City. As it turned out, due to various circumstances, that one night was more than enough for us!

I had booked us into a 'top end' Budget accommodations located in the heart of Belize City, an area of the city that has definitely seen better times. Compounding the less than ideal surroundings, was the fact that we arrived on a Sunday - and I have never seen a more deserted city in my life! Almost everything was closed, including the various tourist 'high points'. The weather deteriorated the next morning, eventually turning into a really torrential tropical downpour.

That being said, we tried to make the best of the situation we found ourselves in. After all, it is just another of life's experiences that we now look back on and simply shake our heads! Read on for the details!

• Pros:Seriously, none that readily come to mind
  • Cons:Rundown buildings and high crime areas
  • In a nutshell:Just pass through as quickly as possible - go see the real Belize!
  • Last visit to Belize City: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Good to know tips! I doubt if I will ever be visiting here, doesn't appeal after reading what it is like.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM

This page mirrors what I have heard about Belize City. On now to the good Belize..... <(•¿•)>

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM

What a pity that you did not enjoy your stay in Belize City. Ater reading your tips, I can undertand why, though. An honest assessment of this city. The hotel bedroom WAS very small!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 4:02 PM

what a strange experience

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM

A very useful page. I plan to visit the Belize Zoo and the Belize Museum and then leave to San Pedro. Your tips are great reading.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 4:27 AM

A very interesting glimpse of Belize City. We will be there for just one day - a cruise ship stop - in less than two weeks. Can't wait. Wish we would have time to explore more of Belize.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 2:20 AM

Spending the Sunday afternoon chatting with other tourists on the balkony at Seaside Guest House sounds like a great way to pass the time.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Nice tips Glen, I am thinking about heading here for Thanksgiving

• Apr 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM

The restaurant being reviewed here is not the Stone Grill Restaurant but rather the St. George's Dining Room which is also at the Raddison Hotel

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 10:58 PM

It is amazing that the worst place in a country be its capital! Very interesting page on this "must" location! No other way to get into the country!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Belize City

Have you been to Belize City?

Latest Activity in Belize City