"Belmopan - an Interesting Area!" Belmopan by Bwana_Brown

Belmopan Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 61 photos

After spending five days and nights on the very popular 'Caye Caulker' and 'Ambergris Cay' islands off the coast north of Belize City, we were ready to begin the 'land-exploration' phase of our three week February vacation in Belize. Following a water taxi ride in from the islands, we hopped a mini-van taxi to the International airport, where we picked up our pre-arranged rental vehicle for three days of total freedom as we explored what the area around Belmopan had to offer!

We had not made any pre-arranged accommodations plans for this phase of our trip and, in fact, had no real idea of exactly what we would be doing. Although Belmopan itself is not rated too highly in tourist literature as a 'must see', we thought that there were enough attractions in the area to keep us amused for a few days. In the end, we had a great time as we rejoined the new friends we had first met on Caye Caulker a few days before! Check out my page to see how we made out with the Black Howler monkeys in their protected forest reserve, the unique Belize Zoo located in the middle of nowhere, Guanacaste National Park and the very scenic Hummingbird Highway as we travelled to the southeast coast! My 'General' tips include a map showing the route we covered in our rental vehicle.

• Pros:Black Howler Monkeys, the Zoo and Guanacaste National Park
  • Cons:Depending on the day, can be crowded with cruise ship tours
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a look around - quite enjoyable for us!
  • Last visit to Belmopan: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 1, 2006

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Don't think we'll get to Belmopan but the Zoo is a definite possibility (though probably not at night) - and we'll watch out for that tapir!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Heading to Belize myself in just under 2 months. Its a trip I've been looking to do for a few years now.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Fascinating tips on the Guanacaste National Park, the Community Baboon Sanctuary, the Black Howler Monkeys and the highly unusual Belize Zoo. I didn't have a cell phone in 2006 either, but I do now because of the German Rent-a-Bikes and NextBikes.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2008 at 4:40 PM

stingless bees! what will they think of next?

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Phew, renting a car could bust you here. Supposedly the same thing in Ecuador but we opted for the bus. From the looks of the drivers there it's probably a good thing. ;) Tough getting a photos of a howler monkey, eh? Great write-up as always, Glenn.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Another great page on Belize and all that it offers. There is also a wonderful night zoo in Singapore. Good for seeing the nocturnal animals. Good tips on accommodations.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 7:16 AM

You saw so much wildlife here = the night time visit to the zoo is some thing new for me but a good idea non the less.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Looks like a fantastic country, especially for nature lovers like myself. I've always wanted to go birdwatching there.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 2:51 AM

Wonderful wildlife pictures, i like your tips and comments - greetz

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM

The kind of zoos (not really zoos, BTW!) that take care of local injured animals are the one I prefer! The results of photos at night can be amazing! I have read that the Guanacaste tree were also called Monkey's Earring. Nice Tropical Education Centre!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Belmopan

Have you been to Belmopan?

Latest Activity in Belmopan