"Caye Caulker - Ya Betta Belize It!" Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker by Bwana_Brown
Caye Caulker Travel Guide: 481 reviews and 952 photos
Caye Caulker, that idyllic little atoll only 21 miles from Belize City, was one of the main destinations on our 3-week trip to Belize - in fact, our first stop! After having read the intriguing descriptions of it's laid back atmosphere on the pages of 'Windsorgirl' and 'JetLagCity', Belize began to percolate in my mind! The final straw was when Delta Airlines declared bankruptcy, spurring me into action to use up our Delta travel points for a winter escape while we still could!
We were not disappointed - Caye Caulker met all our expectations and then some. In fact, as we continued on our meandering trip through Belize, we kept saying 'it's still not as good as Caye Caulker'! What makes the place so special is that it has not yet been invaded by the large hotel chains - most of the tourist establishments are owned and operated by the island locals.
The 'modern' history of the island dates from 1848, when it was first settled by Spanish and mestizo refugees fleeing the Mexican Yucatan Caste War. To supplement fishing for a livelihood, the refugees eventually planted coconut palm trees and these two industries provided a quiet if subsistance living for decades. It was not until 'hippies' discovered this little backwater many years later, that word of this paradise gradually leaked out. I would say that it is still paradise and you have a chance to sample it - if you don't delay too long!
There are no cars on the sandy streets, the people are friendly, the sun shines and the warm breezes blow! The island motto says it all - 'no shirt, no shoes, no problem'! We were sad to leave Caye Caulker for the next stage of our journey, on 'Ambergris Cay' as we spent a couple of nights in San Pedro, but our time in these various other areas of Belize was also a fantastic experience!
- Pros:Laid back, beautiful, relatively inexpensive
- In a nutshell:Just do it and you will soon relax!
During our exploration walk around Caye Caulker, we ended up on Back Street and passed through the area where many of... more travel advice
Caye Caulker is a really off the beaten path type of island, barely visible on the map as you can see, located in the... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Caye Caulker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Something different under the sun!"
- "Caye Caulker - Ya Betta Belize It!"
- "I Miss Caye Caulker Already"
- "RELAXING IN PARADISE"
- "Caye Caulker"
- "Laid Back"
- "Laid back and life-changing: Caye Caulker"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caye Caulker
- Hotels in Caye Caulker
- Transportation in Caye Caulker
- Nightlife in Caye Caulker
- Restaurants in Caye Caulker
- Shopping in Caye Caulker
- Warnings and Dangers in Caye Caulker
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caye Caulker
- 30 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Caye Caulker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caye Caulker
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of Jefie's Caye Caulker travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Quite Satisfactory"
- updated a Caye Caulker Travel Page "Caye Caulker - Ya Betta Belize It!"
- Wrote a Review The 'back' side of Caye Caulker in Caye Caulker Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Caye CaulkerSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos