"Crooked Tree - a Bird Watcher's Paradise" Crooked Tree by Bwana_Brown

Crooked Tree Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 47 photos

We were really starting to get into this Belize thing by the time we arrived at the Bird's Eye View Lodge in Crooked Tree village! This was Day 10 of our trip and we had already had five days on the beautiful islands and coral reefs in the north, two days enjoying the forests and animals in central Belize and then two more days on the remote palm-fringed southeastern shores of the country at 'Hopkins'.

Located on a small island connected to land by a rough 3.5-mile long causeway, the Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary is noted for its fastastic bird-watching. The reports are well-founded, as we can attest from an amazing tour of Crooked Tree Lagoon and up Spanish Creek on one of the boats anchored in this photo. More than just that experience made this 2-day stopover a special part of our trip - it was also very relaxing sitting on the lakeshore in the 30 C weather, yet feeling totally refreshed by the cool breeze blowing in off the water, as the myriad assortment of birds and animals put on a show for us! Just another of the many great experiences we had in Belize as we moved around the country with our backpacks.

This area of Belize is made up of a mixture of long lagoons, connected by creeks, marshes and logwood tree thickets. As a result, it is a natural for birds and, in fact, we saw many of the same species that we get in eastern Canada - I was wondering where they spent the winter! Crooked Tree island is a different place, in that it is the result of being surrounded by various creeks, which expand into large lagoons during during the wet season and sometimes dry up completely in the summer months. Because of the record breaking hurricane and tropical storm season in 2005/06, the waters were still unusually high when we were there in February, 2006. Even though this area is quite some distance inland from the Caribbean Sea, it is only 10-16 feet (3-5 metres) above sea level, so large amounts of rain water tend to spread out over the flat landscape.

• Pros:Extremely relaxing spot, fantastic birding
  • Cons:A bit out of the way, food only so-so
  • In a nutshell:A totally different Belize experience - very enjoyable!
  • Last visit to Crooked Tree: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2007

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2011 at 3:53 AM

We're going back to Belize in February, but since we're only going for a week I doubt we'll have time to hit Crooked Tree - which is really too bad, because it looks fantastic! Next time, perhaps?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Sounds a great spot for relaxing and wildlife, and I'd love that boat trip - just my sort of thing! Not sure we'll make it here when in Belize in Nov but will certainly bear it in mind. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM

What an excellent place this is for nature lovers! It certainly sounds like you had a most enjoyable time, I know I would love it there too!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM

What a wonderful lagoon. Doesn't seem too simple to me to sit w/ wine overlooking such beauty and wildlife. Not sure I'd be ready for the tour at 6 AM, tho. You'd find me sitting on the sidelines w/ my coffee and binoculars.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM

A very beautiful location with lots to see and do. Nice page and you take care!:)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM

Bird paradise! Great page,Glenn. This place-the creeks, the birds, the boat trip- reminded me a bit of our Sunderbans adventure. Especially that early morning photo before your cruise. Lovely.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

That sounds like a birdwatchers' paradise and to see all those lizards and things, except perhaps the crocodiles, must be marvellous. Liked the idea of a horse going out for a walk. They deserve some freedom too.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Sounds like birding heaven, Glenn. I'd read a bit about the logwood trade - hard work and wild times in the 17th century - interesting to see the region now. leyle

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 3:32 AM

This sounds quite a marvellous place, with all that wildlife (so many birds!) in the sanctuary. I've never before seen a cashew tree and your information on how the nuts are extracted was fascinating.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Crooked tree. Very quaint...LOL I like the name of that Jesus lizard too.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Crooked Tree

Have you been to Crooked Tree?