"Crooked Tree - a Bird Watcher's Paradise" Crooked Tree by Bwana_Brown
Crooked Tree Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 47 photos
We were really starting to get into this Belize thing by the time we arrived at the Bird's Eye View Lodge in Crooked Tree village! This was Day 10 of our trip and we had already had five days on the beautiful islands and coral reefs in the north, two days enjoying the forests and animals in central Belize and then two more days on the remote palm-fringed southeastern shores of the country at 'Hopkins'.
Located on a small island connected to land by a rough 3.5-mile long causeway, the Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary is noted for its fastastic bird-watching. The reports are well-founded, as we can attest from an amazing tour of Crooked Tree Lagoon and up Spanish Creek on one of the boats anchored in this photo. More than just that experience made this 2-day stopover a special part of our trip - it was also very relaxing sitting on the lakeshore in the 30 C weather, yet feeling totally refreshed by the cool breeze blowing in off the water, as the myriad assortment of birds and animals put on a show for us! Just another of the many great experiences we had in Belize as we moved around the country with our backpacks.
This area of Belize is made up of a mixture of long lagoons, connected by creeks, marshes and logwood tree thickets. As a result, it is a natural for birds and, in fact, we saw many of the same species that we get in eastern Canada - I was wondering where they spent the winter! Crooked Tree island is a different place, in that it is the result of being surrounded by various creeks, which expand into large lagoons during during the wet season and sometimes dry up completely in the summer months. Because of the record breaking hurricane and tropical storm season in 2005/06, the waters were still unusually high when we were there in February, 2006. Even though this area is quite some distance inland from the Caribbean Sea, it is only 10-16 feet (3-5 metres) above sea level, so large amounts of rain water tend to spread out over the flat landscape.
- Pros:Extremely relaxing spot, fantastic birding
- Cons:A bit out of the way, food only so-so
- In a nutshell:A totally different Belize experience - very enjoyable!
Only 30 miles (50-km) northwest of Belize City, Crooked Tree is a tiny village located on a freshwater island about 15... more travel advice
The village of Crooked Tree is famous for its annual Cashew Festival, so it was no surprise to see these huge trees... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Crooked Tree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Crooked Tree - a Bird Watcher's Paradise"
- "a charming overnight stay..."
- "Crooked Tree"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crooked Tree
- Hotels in Crooked Tree
- Transportation in Crooked Tree
- Restaurants in Crooked Tree
- Warnings and Dangers in Crooked Tree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crooked Tree
- 14 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Crooked Tree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crooked Tree
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- updated a Crooked Tree Travel Page "Crooked Tree - a Bird Watcher's Paradise"
- Commented on one of bsfreeloader's Crooked Tree travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Talk to the Friendly Locals"
- Wrote a Review Crooked Tree is Located HERE in Crooked Tree Favorites
Photos in Crooked TreeSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos