"Hopkins - a Quiet 'Backwater' in Belize" Top 5 Page for this destination Hopkins by Bwana_Brown
Hopkins Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 85 photos
After finishing our first six days in Belize on the off-shore cayes ('Caye Caulker' and 'Ambergris Cay') and in the tropical forests of the 'Belmopan' area, we were keen to explore along the less-heralded southeast coast of the country. In the course of my research into our trip to Belize, the tips of VT-members "paradisedreamer", "diver-x" and "MrRandMcNally" had made the village of Hopkins appear quite in-keeping with my tastes. It had that off-the-beaten path sound to it with a chance to see what life was like in a 'non-tourist' area of Belize. It was a simple matter to get there with the rental vehicle we had for this 3-day section of our three weeks in Belize, so off we headed from Belmopan, down the beautiful Hummingbird Highway. We were accompanied on these three days by Canadian friends that we had first met on Caye Caulker and, although we had no accommodations booked as we headed southeast, it turned out to be a very enjoyable part of our trip! On the morning we left Hopkins, I came across these two young boys raking the sand in front of their parents restaurant before the school bus arrived. This little village of 1100 people, along with it's larger neighbour of 'Dangriga', are both home to a unique sector of the Belizian population - the Garinagu, a cultural mixture of Carib islanders and West Africans captured for slavery. All the Hopkins details are in my Tips!
- Pros:Very laid back, Manatees swim off-shore, Friendly
- In a nutshell:You can go High-end or Low-end for accommodations - a relaxing spot whichever way you go!
Since I don't bother with owning a cellular phone, I find that it is always handy to have a local phone card to avoid... more travel advice
It was not even a half-hour after we had checked into our Whistling Seas accommodations that Norm and I realized we had... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Hopkins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hopkins - a Quiet 'Backwater' in Belize"
- "If you REALLY want to get away from it all..."
- "Hopkins: Laid Back, Out of the Way Living"
- "A Little Out of the Way for Traditional Culture"
- "Traveling aimlessly thru Central American continue"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hopkins
- Hotels in Hopkins
- Transportation in Hopkins
- Restaurants in Hopkins
- Shopping in Hopkins
- Warnings and Dangers in Hopkins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hopkins
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Hopkins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hopkins
Photos in HopkinsSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos