"Hopkins - a Quiet 'Backwater' in Belize" Top 5 Page for this destination Hopkins by Bwana_Brown

Hopkins Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 85 photos

After finishing our first six days in Belize on the off-shore cayes ('Caye Caulker' and 'Ambergris Cay') and in the tropical forests of the 'Belmopan' area, we were keen to explore along the less-heralded southeast coast of the country. In the course of my research into our trip to Belize, the tips of VT-members "paradisedreamer", "diver-x" and "MrRandMcNally" had made the village of Hopkins appear quite in-keeping with my tastes. It had that off-the-beaten path sound to it with a chance to see what life was like in a 'non-tourist' area of Belize. It was a simple matter to get there with the rental vehicle we had for this 3-day section of our three weeks in Belize, so off we headed from Belmopan, down the beautiful Hummingbird Highway. We were accompanied on these three days by Canadian friends that we had first met on Caye Caulker and, although we had no accommodations booked as we headed southeast, it turned out to be a very enjoyable part of our trip! On the morning we left Hopkins, I came across these two young boys raking the sand in front of their parents restaurant before the school bus arrived. This little village of 1100 people, along with it's larger neighbour of 'Dangriga', are both home to a unique sector of the Belizian population - the Garinagu, a cultural mixture of Carib islanders and West Africans captured for slavery. All the Hopkins details are in my Tips!

• Pros:Very laid back, Manatees swim off-shore, Friendly
  • In a nutshell:You can go High-end or Low-end for accommodations - a relaxing spot whichever way you go!
  • Last visit to Hopkins: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 18, 2006

• Jan 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Glenn, the picture on your intro. page--of the boys sweeping the street--can be summed up with one word: AWESOME! When abroad or in another part of the U.S. I just love to watch the local populace perform their day-to-day activities.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Interesting place with many contrasts. Enjoyed this tour and will look at all your Belize trips. Ciao <(•¿•)>

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Thanks Glen for giving us a glimpse of a place many will never see or learn about. Have a super weekend.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 3:54 AM

I have learnt a few things from you again, Glenn. Never heard of the Garinagu people before and the manatees were new to me too. I also usually try to talk to the local people and learn about their lives.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM

Thanks Glenn for showing me a place which isn't among tourist attractions for Russians! The seaside in Hopkins looks wonderful. A few chance to go there but who knows?

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM

As you described between paradise & poverty all was an interesting visit for me to read. Not sure I would wait that long for a pizza though!!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 6:21 AM

Sometimes heading off to those off-the-beaten-path places makes for some of the most enjoyable travel experiences.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM

Will be in Belize next month. Your pages are proving very helpful. Don't know if l will check out Hopkins but you never know.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 4:35 AM

Sounds like a very pleasant stop, Glenn. If the fish meal was as good as barramundi, it had to be great! The manatees must have been a real bonus.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Nice page ! Great to be able to see the possible model for the legendary mermaids ! How elegant are the frigates ! You got a superb picture !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Hopkins

Have you been to Hopkins?

Latest Activity in Hopkins