"San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing" Top 5 Page for this destination San Ignacio by Bwana_Brown
San Ignacio Travel Guide: 173 reviews and 419 photos
After almost 2 weeks in Belize, our final area to explore was on the country's western border with Guatemala. There is such an abundance of things to do here, that I booked a full week of accommodations at a fantastic backpacker hotel called the Trek Stop, located between San Iganacio and the border. Just staying there was an experience in itself!!
However, we also busied ourselves with a flurry of activities before we had to head back to Canada. First up was the small but beautiful Mayan site of Xunantunich, located only a half-hour walk from our doorstep. This was followed by something that neither of us had done before - just the two of us tubing over a series of rapids along a jungle river for hours. It just kept getting better, all the next day was spent exploring a Mayan sacrificial cave that required us to swim into its entrance and then walk and wriggle our way deep underground to view the 1100 year old skeletal remains of sacrificial offerings to the gods.
After a day of exploring San Ignacio itself, we then struck off to Tikal National Park in Guatemala on a completely ad lib trip with no pre-arranged transportation or accommodations. Viewing the sunset from atop a temple at this most famous of all Mayan sites was fantastic! All in all, a very memorable way to finish off our explorations of Belize and nearby attractions! The map in my 'General' tip points out where the major activities were located.
- Pros:Friendly, safe and lots to do
- In a nutshell:A great place from which to explore in every direction!
This map shows Crooked Tree, the inland island birdwatching sanctuary, in the top right corner. It was from there that... more travel advice
We succeeded in our objective of having a 'sunset' experience while at Tikal National Park. After first scouting out... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
San Ignacio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- "5 Days In Belize's Jungle"
- "The Lodge at Chaa Creek"
- "San Ignacio, Belize: Home Base For Adventure"
- "San Ignacio - a one stoplight town"
- "Bridge and Stoplight"
- "On horses through the Jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Ignacio
- Hotels in San Ignacio
- Transportation in San Ignacio
- Nightlife in San Ignacio
- Restaurants in San Ignacio
- Shopping in San Ignacio
- Warnings and Dangers in San Ignacio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Ignacio
- 28 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to San Ignacio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Ignacio
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Commented on one of toonsarah's San Ignacio travel pages
- updated a San Ignacio Travel Page "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- Uploaded a Photo to "San Ignacio - Temples, Caves & Tubing"
- Wrote a Review Map of our San Ignacio Area Adventures in San Ignacio Favorites
Photos in San IgnacioSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos