Xunantunich Local Custom Tips by Bwana_Brown Top 5 Page for this destination
Xunantunich Local Customs: 1 reviews and 2 photos
A Kayak tour passes the Mopan River Ferry
Our Trek Stop accommodations just outside the hamlet of San Jose de Succotz was very conveniently located for visiting Xunantunich - a short 15 minute walk along the main highway toward Guatemala brought us to this scenic ferry crossing. This hand-cranked affair crosses back and forth over the Mopan River, providing the only access to the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich. The single operator winches the the ferry back and forth for both cars and pedestrians as they turn up on one side of the river or the other.
I had a good talk with him as we crossed on our 8:30 AM walk to the ruins, and he pointed out a very large Green Iguana (they can reach 7-feet in length) to me, as it lay out over the river on a tree branch, warming up in the morning sunshine. Tourists taking kayak tours on the Mopan (and ourselves as well on our tubing ride) have to keep an eye out here as they pass the ferry but it is not difficult since the aerial cable used to winch the ferry is plenty high above the water level. I gave the guy $BZ2 (US$1) for his efforts on our short crossings here.
More Reviews (10)
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Xunantunich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins"
- "Mayan Ceremonial Site"
- "Xunantunich! So fun to Pronounce! =)"
- "Maiden of the Rock: Xunantunich"
- "A day in the ruins"
- "Wonderful site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xunantunich
- Hotels in Xunantunich
- Transportation in Xunantunich
- Restaurants in Xunantunich
- Warnings and Dangers in Xunantunich
- See All...
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach State Park Hotels
- Seni Gueye Hotels
- Brunswick Junction Hotels
- Ostrovo Golem Grad
- Bibury Hotels
Badges & Stats in Xunantunich
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Xunantunich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xunantunich
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Commented on one of Foundryman1's Xunantunich travel pages
- updated a Xunantunich Travel Page "Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Restored East Frieze"
- Wrote a Review Cool Off with Jungle River Tubing! in Xunantunich Things to Do
Photos in XunantunichSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos