"Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Xunantunich by Bwana_Brown
Xunantunich Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 105 photos
About two weeks into our trip to Belize found us staying at a small back-packer paradise outside of San Ignacio and very close to the Guatemala border. One of the attractions that just happened to be within easy walking distance for us were the Mayan temple ruins at Xunantunich. We spent a morning there, exploring what was left of this site - first settled between 200-500 AD (depending on who you believe). The peak years of this small settlement, which is believed to have been an outpost of the larger Tikal empire centred 30-miles away in Guatemala, were between 700-900 AD. As with the rest of the Mayan cities in Central America, civilization seems to have crashed by 1000 AD.
Xunantunich was re-discovered by Europeans in 1894 but serious exploration of the site was not carried out until thirty years later, in 1924. Until the recent discovery of the Caracol ruins, the El Castillo pyramid at Xunantunich was the tallest structure in Belize (now in 2nd place by 1-foot!). This is a relatively small site as Mayan ones go, so it makes for a good half-day trip, one that we thoroughly enjoyed!
- Pros:Easily explored, beautiful and not really busy
- In a nutshell:A good Mayan 'starter' site!
After our morning walk to Xunantunich, we chilled out on the internet for a while and then had lunch. However, by 1 PM... more travel advice
It was a good run while we had it, but we noticed the first tour crowd arriving at Xunantunich while we were still... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Xunantunich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins"
- "Mayan Ceremonial Site"
- "Xunantunich! So fun to Pronounce! =)"
- "Maiden of the Rock: Xunantunich"
- "A day in the ruins"
- "Wonderful site!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xunantunich
- Hotels in Xunantunich
- Transportation in Xunantunich
- Restaurants in Xunantunich
- Warnings and Dangers in Xunantunich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xunantunich
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Xunantunich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xunantunich
- updated a Xunantunich Travel Page "Xunantunich - Small but Beautiful Mayan Ruins"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Foundryman1's Xunantunich travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Restored East Frieze"
- Wrote a Review Cool Off with Jungle River Tubing! in Xunantunich Things to Do
Photos in XunantunichSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos