"Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional del Iguazù by Bwana_Brown
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,166 photos
It was the stunning display of the natural wonder of Iguazu Falls, on the border between Argentina and Brazil, that drew my wife and I to Argentina in late-January/early-February, 2005. Located almost due north of Buenos Aires, and just about 2 hours travel time by jet aircraft, the intertwined wonders of the numerous cataracts, rain forest and deep gorge present quite a spectacle for any visitor, regardless of the time of year.
The large area of numerous waterfalls on the Rio Iguazu is surrounded by rain-forest, thanks to the protection of the Parque Nacional del Iguazu on the Argentina-side and it's counterpart Parque Nacional do Iguacu on the Brazil-side. The 55,000-hectare (212 sq. mile) Nacional Park surrounding the Argentinian-side of Iguazu Falls was first conceived in 1909 but was not officially established until 1934. The park is situated about 160-m (525-ft.) above sea level and vegetation mostly consists of sub-tropical wet forest hosting numerous species of animal, bird, insect and plant life. The name Iguazu stems from the local Indian dialect and means 'big water' in their language. The park was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984, one of eight such sites in Argentina.
Our motivation for visiting this new part of the world (for us) was the celebration of our wedding anniversary, 30 years after we were married in Zambia and had our Honeymoon in southern Africa at the equally famous Victoria Falls. We figured it was about time that we checked out the competition! It turned out to be a great choice. We really enjoyed our few days in this remote northeast corner of Argentina, staying in the friendly and small city of Puerto Iguazu.
This view was taken on the Argentina-side, looking at the Salto (Falls) San Martin, the second most powerful of the cataracts here.
- Pros:Largely unspoilt natural beauty
- Cons:It can be crowded with tourists, jostling for position
- In a nutshell:One of the World's Natural Wonders
The Parque Nacional del Iguazu is connected to the city of Puerto Iguazu by a 20-km (13-mile) section of Route Nacional... more travel advice
If I were to choose one of the two Circuits, the Upper one would get my vote. With the walkway system bridging the... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!"
- "Falling Water . . ."
- "An amazing experience at Iguazu Falls"
- "The End of the Rainbow"
- "Finally to the Falls"
- "Devil's Throat - Garganta del Diablo"
- "Yguazù : Agua grande !!!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Hotels in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Transportation in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Nightlife in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Restaurants in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Shopping in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Warnings and Dangers in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- 35 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Parque Nacional del Iguazù?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parque Nacional del Iguazù
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Commented on one of sachara's Parque Nacional del Iguazù travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "No Longer Needed"
- updated a Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Page "Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!"
- Wrote a Review The Road to the National Park in Parque Nacional del Iguazù Transportation
Photos in Parque Nacional del IguazùSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos