"Iguazu Falls - The World's Most Spectacular!" Top 5 Page for this destination Parque Nacional del Iguazù by Bwana_Brown

Parque Nacional del Iguazù Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,166 photos

It was the stunning display of the natural wonder of Iguazu Falls, on the border between Argentina and Brazil, that drew my wife and I to Argentina in late-January/early-February, 2005. Located almost due north of Buenos Aires, and just about 2 hours travel time by jet aircraft, the intertwined wonders of the numerous cataracts, rain forest and deep gorge present quite a spectacle for any visitor, regardless of the time of year.

The large area of numerous waterfalls on the Rio Iguazu is surrounded by rain-forest, thanks to the protection of the Parque Nacional del Iguazu on the Argentina-side and it's counterpart Parque Nacional do Iguacu on the Brazil-side. The 55,000-hectare (212 sq. mile) Nacional Park surrounding the Argentinian-side of Iguazu Falls was first conceived in 1909 but was not officially established until 1934. The park is situated about 160-m (525-ft.) above sea level and vegetation mostly consists of sub-tropical wet forest hosting numerous species of animal, bird, insect and plant life. The name Iguazu stems from the local Indian dialect and means 'big water' in their language. The park was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984, one of eight such sites in Argentina.

Our motivation for visiting this new part of the world (for us) was the celebration of our wedding anniversary, 30 years after we were married in Zambia and had our Honeymoon in southern Africa at the equally famous Victoria Falls. We figured it was about time that we checked out the competition! It turned out to be a great choice. We really enjoyed our few days in this remote northeast corner of Argentina, staying in the friendly and small city of Puerto Iguazu.

This view was taken on the Argentina-side, looking at the Salto (Falls) San Martin, the second most powerful of the cataracts here.

• Pros:Largely unspoilt natural beauty
  • Cons:It can be crowded with tourists, jostling for position
  • In a nutshell:One of the World's Natural Wonders
  • Last visit to Parque Nacional del Iguazù: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2005

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Glen...a great page and useful tips..and sounds as if the tour operator was top notch...fixing the boo boo quickly and making it up for you seems to me to be a pretty professional response. Ive just sent an inquiry to RIPIO TURISMO ! Thanks!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Great page; the comparison of the three biggest waterfalls is especially interesting for me because Iguazu is my next dream destination after Victoria Falls, which I visited in July.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Nice page Glenn. The falls must be fantastic, especially with being in a natural landscape. How do they compare withNiagra Falls. The taxi driver must have had faith in you.Would love to visit, hate the thought of the flight from Perth.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Excellent photos, makes me sorry we missed the falls. We may have to go back. Thanks for viewing my Uruguay pages.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Thanks for having a look at my Mendoza page. Next time I'm in Argentina I'll make time to see the falls.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 10:29 AM

Your excellent descriptions draws near the beauty of this amazing place much better than any guide does :) Was nice to recall some wonderful moments of the day I spent there. I really enjoyed a boat trip below Garganta del Diablo - what an adventure! :)

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Yes, this is a true wonder of Nature! If I will have time I will look your other Argentina pages! It`s a huge country full of awesome places just like these waterfalls!

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Looks gorgeous! I think we may cash in some flyer miles and hotel points to get there in August!! :D

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 10:04 AM

If we really make it one day to visit my husbands school friend in Argentinia, we will make sure to visit this park as well. I love waterfalls!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 1:15 AM

These falls are really breathtaking! I wonder how does Dettifos in Iceland ranks among falls. I cannot find worldwide reliable information (some are contradictory).

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Parque Nacional del Iguazù

Have you been to Parque Nacional del Iguazù?