"Stonehenge, Lacock Abbey & More..." Top 5 Page for this destination Wiltshire by Bwana_Brown

Wiltshire Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,909 photos

A 2-week Christmas 2005 vacation in England gave us the chance to revisit Wiltshire. We were so impressed by our 2004 trip (below) that we went out of our way to visit Stonehenge's 'sister' standing stones at Avebury and also an 800-year old Norman bridge at Bradford-on-Avon.

During our February, 2004 trip, following an afternoon of cruising along the Cotwolds on the A433, we started to look for a B&B for the night as we approached Bath. Our first meander off the road in the little town of Chipping Sodbury was not successful, as we also did not really like the appearance of the town. Since we had finally managed to pick up some tourist information while in Chipping Campden, Glocestershire, we actually had something to consult for once. A glance at the literature mentioned a possible B&B in Corsham, Wiltshire so we adjusted our course for there. We were happy to do that because we did not really want to get involved with a larger centre like Bath. We ended up hitting the jackpot and over that evening and the next day, we had a really great time in Wiltshire! The old Abbey and its associated village at Lacock as well as a return to Stonehenge 23 years after our first visit were both memorable! Then, it was off to Devon for the next stage of our trip (or refer to my Surrey page for the beginning of our 1200-mile journey though southern England).

• Pros:Stonehenge
  • In a nutshell:A great County to visit
  • Last visit to Wiltshire: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Another page full of interest. I love the look of the Red Lion Pub!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 5:29 AM

Glenn, fantastic page about this lovely region in England. I especially like your pub and B&B tips. I have travelled a lot in England, but honestly speaking was never too keen to visit Stonehenge.

• LarisaLove's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2007 at 5:08 PM

I always dream to visit such places.Thank you for very good info and nice pictures...reminds me of classic English romance stories. Larisa

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 6:45 PM

A lot of very interesting info and stunning pictures. Who didn't hear about Stonehenge? But I like Lacock Village and your descriptions. It's my next place to visit now :-)

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2006 at 5:47 PM

Heaps of handy hints and tips. Loved this part of England. Avebury is now on my list. Thanks...

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 3:28 AM

Your page is a mine of information, never heard of the poor 'tunspits" or the bodies excavated by Stonehenge. The Red Lion looks really lovely, will make a point of visiting it on my trip to the area. Thanks for the most interesting tour!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Stonehenge is really impressive ! Beautiful pictures, Glenn !

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 10:46 AM

Some beautiful countryside around these parts, as you'll agree

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 9:20 PM

Top pages (loved the light on the opening pic).

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 1:35 PM

a great page bringing back great memories ! ... around 1981 I was also at Stonehendge, but I think to remember, that we could approach the standing stones !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Wiltshire

Have you been to Wiltshire?

Latest Activity in Wiltshire