"Steeped in Tradition" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridgeshire by Bwana_Brown
Cambridgeshire Travel Guide: 1,376 reviews and 3,097 photos
We arrived in Cambridge late on a Saturday afternoon at the end of our first day on the road in rural England. Traffic was steady as we drove aimlessly around trying to find a B&B for the night, before finally stopping to ask for help at a petrol station. That got us on the right track and we then settled down to enjoy our brief time in the city. As it turned out, Sunday morning was a great time to actually go to the centre of the city and walk around the grounds of Cambridge University! Great except for the weather, that is. It was not long before it started to rain, so we pulled up our anchor and continued onward. Our route took us briefly back into Essex to visit Saffron Walden before we then headed directly west through Milton Keynes before reaching Banbury. This photo shows the River Cam as it flows by King's College Chapel, with the King's Bridge in the background. A bridge at this location was first built in 1472 and several versions have occupied the spot since then. This latest offering, built in 1819, was shifted 45 yards to the north to give a more theatrical 'surprise view' effect when approaching the College grounds from 'The Backs' green area on the right side of the river. Please see my Oxfordshire page for the next leg of our trip, or go to the Surrey page if you want to see how it all began!
- Pros:Very impressive buildings & lots of history
- Cons:It rained on us, for once!
After our experience with the rain shower had passed, we left the downtown shopping square and headed back toward the... more travel advice
The Clare College Bridge spans the River Cam at the back of King's College Chapel. Built in 1640, it is the oldest... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Cambridgeshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Steeped in Tradition"
- "Country life in Cambridgeshire"
- "Greetings From The University Town Of CAMBRIDGE"
- "Flat is beautiful :)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridgeshire
- Hotels in Cambridgeshire
- Transportation in Cambridgeshire
- Nightlife in Cambridgeshire
- Restaurants in Cambridgeshire
- Shopping in Cambridgeshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridgeshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Cambridgeshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridgeshire
Photos in CambridgeshireSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos