"Steeped in Tradition" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridgeshire by Bwana_Brown

Cambridgeshire Travel Guide: 1,323 reviews and 2,891 photos

We arrived in Cambridge late on a Saturday afternoon at the end of our first day on the road in rural England. Traffic was steady as we drove aimlessly around trying to find a B&B for the night, before finally stopping to ask for help at a petrol station. That got us on the right track and we then settled down to enjoy our brief time in the city. As it turned out, Sunday morning was a great time to actually go to the centre of the city and walk around the grounds of Cambridge University! Great except for the weather, that is. It was not long before it started to rain, so we pulled up our anchor and continued onward. Our route took us briefly back into Essex to visit Saffron Walden before we then headed directly west through Milton Keynes before reaching Banbury. This photo shows the River Cam as it flows by King's College Chapel, with the King's Bridge in the background. A bridge at this location was first built in 1472 and several versions have occupied the spot since then. This latest offering, built in 1819, was shifted 45 yards to the north to give a more theatrical 'surprise view' effect when approaching the College grounds from 'The Backs' green area on the right side of the river. Please see my Oxfordshire page for the next leg of our trip, or go to the Surrey page if you want to see how it all began!

• Pros:Very impressive buildings & lots of history
  • Cons:It rained on us, for once!
  • Last visit to Cambridgeshire: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2004

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Sorry to hear about the B&B woes, Glenn but that Indian more than made up for it. I love Balti dishes especially after a night down the pub.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 5:06 AM

A curry and a pint (or there abouts) in Cambridge - a very English way to spend an evening!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 9:03 AM

I was in Cambridge about 30 years ago and one of my recollections is about green thick grass. But it was July, not February.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 7:24 AM

I'm finally squeezing in a day trip to Cambridge this time, figured after a couple of trips to Oxford that I should give it a chance! Your restaurant tip made my mouth water, they have some great Indian places in England.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 2:20 PM

Lush green grass in February? No winter in Cambridge? What is the diff between Camb. and Cambridgeshire -- town and province? In a year or two, we will do the rural UK driving holiday.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Nice to see such world famous place I'd love to visit, no doubt. I expected to see crowds of visitors (? :-). Good accommodation tip, advice.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2006 at 1:44 PM

I always enjoy visiting Cambridge! Actually, I feel it is one of the cities I prefer in England. Thank you for your fine photos.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 11:41 PM

Thanks for the tips Glenn. I'll bet there next month for the air show.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 2:26 PM

Nice page. I look forward to seeing more about the rest of the county. Its nice to see such detailed appreciation of our fine Indian Restaurants :-)

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 12:14 AM

Great page on Cambridge. I must look for that sundial on my return visit. Next time, you should go punting on the Cam if the weather permits. A great experience. ~Elaine~

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Cambridgeshire

Have you been to Cambridgeshire?

Latest Activity in Cambridgeshire