"The End of England" Top 5 Page for this destination Cornwall by Bwana_Brown

Cornwall Travel Guide: 1,687 reviews and 4,315 photos

My wife and I were last in Cornwall over the Christmas holidays in December, 2005 and I must say that the weather treated us very favourably! We took three days to drive down from London, travelling through 'Wiltshire' and then along the north coast of both 'Somerset' and 'Devon' as we enjoyed both the scenery and attractions. This time, while in Cornwall, I paid a bit more attention to the city of Truro, where we were staying, and also managed to slip in a walk along the 250-ft cliffs of the Northern Coast.

In February, 2004 Cornwall was the real destination on that trip to England - it was just that we took a week to get there as we meandered around the other parts of southern England! In my case, it meant that between my Wednesday afternoon arrival and Saturday morning departure for London, there was not much time to savour the delights of this county. Still, the National Maritime Museum Cornwall in Falmouth was one of the highlights of the trip for me and I also did get a chance to do a little driving around the backroads as you can see from this photo. By this stage of our trip, wintery weather had descended from Scotland and we actually had various bouts of snow and pounding hail that the residents said they had not seen in a long time. That being said, I still always enjoy a visit to this 'Land's End' part of England! From here, I was back off to London by myself, with brief stops to meet Sir Geoff Wright in Altarnun and for a quick lunch in Somerset before arriving back in Surrey where the trip had begun 10-days earlier!

• In a nutshell:So Many Things to See and Do!
  • Last visit to Cornwall: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 27, 2006

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Later this year I will finally go to Cornwall. Hiking along the South West Coast Path is definitely something I want to do.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Jan 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hello Malena - great to hear from you! Thanks for your comments on my Cornwall page, it really is a very interesting and diverse part of England that is well worth exploring. Looking forward to the completion of both your upcoming trip and the subsequent Virtual Tourist page!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Hi Glenn, Enjoyed your Cornwall page, we missed getting down there during our 1993 visit, last chance will be 2014 when we do our final trip to Europe. Will not be travelling during winter weather,most likely August /Sept.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Jun 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hello Mike. I'm glad that you enjoyed my Cornwall page - it is a place in England that has some really spectacular scenery and history. Good luck to you on your upcoming trip!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 2:54 AM

Just popping in for a pint & pasty while waiting for Andalusia, Glenn, and found the lovely Cornwall countryside beckoning me to walk on those coastal cliffs. One UK area I've not been and would love to rectify. Great account.

• betako3's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM

Such a winter test of brakes must be something to remember :) I also enjoyed that bit about you chatting about weather in Canada :) The cliffs are FANTASTIC!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Walking along the cliffs - this is something I'd love to do just now - with the wind blowing in my face and the smell of sea in the air. Excellent tips and beautiful pictures.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM

So this is Rosamunde Pilcher's Country, it looks great and interesting. I think Roundabouts are a clever solution, but the tourists have to get accquainted first with them !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 7:04 PM

Certainly enjoyed reading your account of your travels in and around Cornwall. Excellent descriptions and insights. I like roundabouts for some of the same reasons that you explained.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Enjoyed the virtual tour of Cornwall = the Cathedral looks beautiful

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Cornwall sounds like a lovely pace. Hope to visit soon. Very interesting tips and nice photos.

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 3:02 PM

The end of England; long live the queen. I enjoyed your info on Cornwall. Wind Generation is over rated in my eyes -- so are roundabouts. There, I said it.

Bwana_Brown Visits Here Frequently!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Cornwall

Have you been to Cornwall?

Latest Activity in Cornwall