"Often Overlooked!" Top 5 Page for this destination Devon by Bwana_Brown

Devon Travel Guide: 2,046 reviews and 5,170 photos

During our February, 2004 trip to England, and following our full day exploring Lacock Abbey and Stonehenge in Wiltshire, we made a bee-line through bits of Dorset and Somerset for our next pre-planned stop outside Exeter, in Devon. Here, we have old acquaintances with whom we usually spend a night on the way to our ultimate destination, Cornwall, where my wife's parents live. As a result of this, we normally spend only a limited amount of time in this beautiful part of England, and have not really given it the time for exploration that it deserves.

However, at the time of our Christmas 2005 trip, our acquaintances were away in Germany for the holiday season. Making the most of this situation, we drove down along the rugged north coast of Devon for the first time and returned on the 'off-the-beaten' path route through Dartmoor National Park. Even so, we still had time constraints, so were only able to hit the high points as we passed through! See my 'General' tip for a map of our excursions in and around Devon. The more I see of this county, the more I realize what I have been missing out on!

• Pros:Two National Parks and Two Coastlines!
  • Cons:Summer Tourists
  • In a nutshell:A Beautiful County with Many Attractions
  • Last visit to Devon: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM

YOur trek is close to what we plan to see one day soon along the coastal areas. The scenery you depict is wonderful as always.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 3:33 AM

Another interesting page...the food sounded good and the prices more than reasonable...thanks for sharing

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Your "Hot Dog" would be very at home where I live too "Barking Town" haha!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Another excellent page that shows your love of little towns and villages and beautiful scenery.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Glenn, gorgeous little page about this interesting region in England. I once explored Devon for a couple of days as well and eben crossed the Dartmoor by doubledecker bus. :-)

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Devon is quite the lovely place--and Lynmouth is a fascinating town. I quite enjoyed my visit to Lorna Doone country in November 2004 and can't wait to go back in a warmer season when hiking the moors might be more inviting.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2006 at 6:09 AM

So far I've only been to the coast in Devon, but I'm planning another visit. I really like your page here about this beautiful area.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2006 at 2:12 PM

Very interesting page and nice photos. I am looking forward to visiting Devon soon.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 11:08 AM

You should add a warning about the weather. Devon is a fantastic county, especially the moors. It's one of my favourites. But boy does it rain. My last winter in Plymouth I don't think my shoes dried until May.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 1:05 AM

Looks like you have seen many beutiful parts of Devon. I wish I will see more one day as I have only been to Torquay.

Bwana_Brown Visits Here Frequently!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Devon