"Scenic England" Top 5 Page for this destination Essex by Bwana_Brown

Essex Travel Guide: 714 reviews and 1,481 photos

Our destination after leaving Greater London was a tiny village called Great Tey, a few miles outside of Colchester on England's southeastern coast. This community has been in existance for thousands of years, with archaeological evidence revealing Iron Age farms, a large Roman villa as well as both Saxon and Norman vestiges. The photo shows the premier building in the village, the St. Barnabus church dating from about 1150 in the Norman era. It is such a pleasure to enjoy the abundance of historic and visually appealing buildings and villages while touring England - truly amazing! While in Essex, we also enjoyed another very scenic area just below Cambridge, at Saffron Walden. For the next part of our trip after Essex, please check out my Suffolk page. Or, if you want to see how it all began, go to my Surrey page.

• Pros:It was Great to Drive Slowly Through the Countryside
  • Cons:None - I was Happy
  • Last visit to Essex: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2004

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 7:59 AM

Excellent 5 star tips and pics. Well Done - from Mike Starr5 in the forgotten suburb of London - historic "Barking Town" - I really must do an Essex page as I have lived here most of my life !

• kaliopA's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 5:25 AM

Wonderfull page on Essex!EverGreen England

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Audley End House sounds interesting for a visit. Haha, milkmen disappeared in my country some 15 years ago... glad to see they survived in UK :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2006 at 9:14 PM

I have always been amazed by home delivery of milk in England ! Your's, as a photographer, is one level ahead ! This name of Saffron Walden is not unfamiliar to me. I might have driven accross too !

• munki's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 2:51 PM

Wow a page of Essex,!! I live in Essex and never crossed my mind to create a travel page of Essex. I reckon you didn't came here for the food, did you?

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 10:42 AM

Im often working up this way, some great countryside around Essex, shame about that pub though, i suppose they can't all be good Glenn.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 3:43 PM

Thanks for dropping by, Glenn. Great Tey is just five minutes up the road from Feering - I know it well ! Great pictures and tips. Andrew

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 2:31 AM

Amazing, someone ripping someone off to build their castle/mansion. That's probably the only time it's ever happened! Great pages.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 3:13 AM

What a great page. I loved it.

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2004 at 2:57 AM

Very nice page :-) That Mansion is impressive!!!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Essex