"The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds" Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucestershire by Bwana_Brown
Gloucestershire Travel Guide: 651 reviews and 1,857 photos
One of the most enjoyable things about touring England is the many different forms of fantastic architecture that you come across in your travels. Each village, town or even an entire area seems to have its own peculiar characteristics! Some have thatched roofs, some are made of brick or Tudor style and others are of a uniform shade of construction. Gloucestershire is famous for its golden Cotswold stone construction, giving each settlement a uniform appearance despite the many different styles of buildings using the stones. This was an area that I had particularly wanted to explore but, as per the weather forecast the previous day, the cold weather (including snow) was closing in on us after our morning of sunshine in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire! After leaving Shakespeare's birthplace, we ended up in the beautiful little town of Chipping Campden at about 1 PM, and it was time to start looking for a pub! This scene shows the main road through the downtown area and gives you some idea of the colour of the stones used for many of the buildings in this part of England. Another thing that I love about England is the originality of their place names. It was mid-afternoon by the time we left Chipping Campden and headed south along the Cotswolds. We passed through many picturesque villages such as Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water as we made headway to our next destination in the Bath area of Wiltshire (or check my Surrey page for the start of our trip).
- Pros:One of the most scenic areas that we passed through
In keeping with my fascination regarding unusual place-names, Chipping Campden is a very old town, first refered to as... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Gloucestershire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A day in the Cotswolds"
- "The Cotswolds"
- "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- "A few days driving around the Cotswolds"
- "Photos of Lower Slaughter, the Cotswolds"
- "THE COTSWOLDS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gloucestershire
- Hotels in Gloucestershire
- Transportation in Gloucestershire
- Nightlife in Gloucestershire
- Restaurants in Gloucestershire
- Shopping in Gloucestershire
- Warnings and Dangers in Gloucestershire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucestershire
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Gloucestershire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucestershire
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Gloucestershire travel pages
- updated a Gloucestershire Travel Page "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Honey-Coloured Stones of the Cotswolds"
- Wrote a Review The Market Hall in Gloucestershire Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos