"Country Houses & Thatched Roof Villages" Top 5 Page for this destination Oxfordshire by Bwana_Brown

Oxfordshire Travel Guide: 1,445 reviews and 3,103 photos

Monday was spent enjoying the many pleasures that Oxfordshire has to offer. Although the mornings seemed to be getting more chilly, I had to scrape frost off the car windshield in Banbury, we had a beautiful sunny day as we set off on our explorations! This part of our trip was highlighted by having a huge old country estate all to ourselves as well as scenic thatched-roof villages as we drove along! The photo shows what you can expect on a typical secondary road, in this case the B4035 just west of Banbury as we passed through the small village of Tadmarton. For the next stage of our trip, please see my Warwickshire page or you can backtrack to my Surrey page to see how the trip began!

• Pros:A relaxed countryside atmosphere
  • Last visit to Oxfordshire: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2004

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Love that thatched cottage. And that Indian meal (complete with Kingfisher!!) sounds perfect. Nice page,Glenn.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Thanks for sharing some tips from the area where I live.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 5:19 AM

A pint and a curry - the perfect combination, though you'd be hard presed to get it for 25GBP these days! I'm heading for Oxon on Tuesday, Henley-on-Thames, my home-from-home. leyle

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 9:39 AM

What a nice area to travel through, with picturesque villages and impressive estates!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 2:49 PM

These scenic thatched-roof villages look outstanding, I see. Next a must see for me :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 1:53 PM

These thatch covered houses are always a pleasure for visitors ! I wonder if they the same for those who dwell under ?

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 12:46 AM

I'm going through a phase of missing Oxfordshire in Autumn and Winter.

• Janani's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 8:18 AM

Thank you for writing such useful information on Broughton Castle; it’s every bit as lovely as you suggest.

• zuriga's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 9:06 AM

This looks like a good place for one of our weekend daytrips. It's just amazing how much there is to see.. and close to home here in Surrey! I think the States are going to look odd to my eyes now. :-)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2005 at 10:08 AM

Glenn, great page with beautiful pictures and interesting writings as usual ! Area with imposing castles and lovely houses !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Oxfordshire

Have you been to Oxfordshire?