"Beautiful Somerset" Top 5 Page for this destination Somerset by Bwana_Brown

Somerset Travel Guide: 1,449 reviews and 3,425 photos

During our 2-week Christmas, 2005 visit to England, Day 2 of our road trip from London to Cornwall found us crossing the County of Somerset for most of the day (please see my 'General' tip for a map of our route). Located in the southwest corner of England, you must pass through either Somerset to the north or Dorset in the south in order to gain access to this Land's End area of the country, the tip of England which sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean. On our many previous drives down this way, we had always skimmed through just a bit of Somerset on either the central or southerly highways in this part of the country. On this drive along the north coast for the first time, I was really surprised at the beautiful countryside of this County as well as it's many very enjoyable attractions. Early in the day we started off by stumbling across the ruins of a 700-year old Castle located beside the highway, followed by the largest gorge in England at Cheddar and finishing things off with a drive through scenic and rugged Exmoor National Park as darkness began to fall. We had beautiful sunshine and warm temperatures all day long, making this the best driving day of our trip.

• Pros:Great countryside, lots of attractions
  • Cons:A bit industrialized near the western outskirts of Bristol
  • In a nutshell:A fantastic drive along its country roads
  • Last visit to Somerset: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2006

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Somerset definitely offers plenty of amazing views. Cheddar Gorge looks just stunning. And I love your opening picture. All in all, great page.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Ahh Somerset has it charms I do like country roads but not black ice!! Enjoyed my tour of this little spot

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 5:40 AM

Thanks for sharing your somerset trip I'm trying to suggest to another vt'er he should take me along next time he visits his folks in somerset to show me the sites & he said there aren't any now I know thats not true :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I was in the mood for a pint and Stones did the trick. Always loved the sound of the Cheddar Gorge and it looks great, but must say I was hoping for some cheese to go along with the pint! Cheers.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 3:51 PM

What a lovely read. Somerset is now on my destination list for next year. Liked especially Farleigh Castle the Gorge! Your zoom shots of the countryside are very good...I will have to try that...thanks

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Loved your page - Somerset one of those counties that just gets overlooked. Went to Cheddar Gorge, Bridgewater etc as a kid - haven't been back since!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 9:19 AM

So where is all the cheese at Cheddar Gorge? Did they not even have a cheese shop like Mars Cheese Castle near Milwaukee? ;-)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 1:18 PM

We seem to have seen different things in Somerset, except for Cheddar Gorge. I wish I had photos, but it was 27 years ago. Loved your pictures, the clear winter day made the contours so sharp and the colours are lovely! England is green even in winter.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Looks like you had beautiful and interesting road trips through the south west part of England.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Cheddar Gorge looks great, indeed. Farleigh Castle, too. Haha, right, back-roads are the best way to discover each areas.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Somerset

Have you been to Somerset?

Latest Activity in Somerset