"Zimbabwe - I cry for you" Top 5 Page for this destination Zimbabwe by Bwana_Brown

Zimbabwe Travel Guide: 1,271 reviews and 3,469 photos

For me, Zimbabwe has been a country of lost opportunities. One of the most beautiful countries in Africa, yet I only managed two very brief visits despite living next door for three years! Unfortunately, the timing of my stay in southern Africa coincided with the apex of the wars of independence in this part of the world. While I was working in Zambia, it's southern border was closed to all traffic due to the on-going war in what was then white-ruled Rhodesia. At the same time, to the east, Mozambique was embroiled in its war of liberation from the Portugese while to the west Angola was likewise fighting for their liberation from Portugal. Far to the south, the white-ruled bastion of South Africa (which also administered Namibia in those days) fully supported these proxy wars to defend its northern borders. The result for a bloke living in Zambia was that one's travel choices were limited to Zaire (Congo), Malawi or Tanzania and points north. As a result of these geo-political events, my only two visits to Rhodesia (1975) and Zimbabwe (1995) were fleeting affairs tied in with greater trips that I was involved with at the time. Still, both these visits gave me some appreciation of the beauty of the country and its people. Despite winning that long ago war, I cannot believe what Robert Mugabe has finally chosen to do to this country and his own people - a country that could have been such a great example of cooperation for the good of all.

First Contact

When my wife and I finally packed up and left Zambia for Canada in 1975, we were then able to arrange a quick visit to Salisbury, Rhodesia (Harare, Zimbabwe now) via Malawi (no direct flights from Zambia due to the war). In those days, nothing was stamped in your passport in Salisbury in case you had to travel to other African countries, merely a slip of paper in the passport to show that you were 'official'. This visit was to say our good-byes to close relatives who had emigrated from Zambia to Rhodesia many years before the war broke out. We had a few very enjoyable days with them at their house in the suburbs of Salisbury. A visit to Lake McIlwaine National Park and some swimming in their backyard pool, plus some great meals! Then we flew out to Kenya, London and finally Canada. Photo of their house at 114 Gilchrist Drive. The next visit would come 20 years later.

• Last visit to Zimbabwe: Nov 1995
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2007

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM

We are considering going in Sept...it will depend on the state of affairs there then .interesting pages.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2009 at 6:41 AM

Intelligent & honest overview on Zimbabwe, Glenn. Its a tragedy that the beautiful country has now descended into utter despairing chaos. I liked the helping hand tip. We had same in SA- lovely lady worked for us (and became part of family) for 14 years.)

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Hi Glenn, How did you find returning to southern Africa again after a long time away? We want to take our kids to Botswana and we're worried they may not enjoy it as much as we did. Email me if you prefer. Mike

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2008 at 5:58 AM

I'm with your feelings here, Glenn. As I read your page I found myself trying to contemplate life there just 13 years after your visit. Heard the other day they're now printing $billion notes!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 5:16 AM

Many Zimbabweans now call WA home!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Where is Africa going to ? Remember Glenn, when Zimbabwe became independent, all the world believed it would be an example (Bob Marley with his “Zimbabwe” song-I am not at all Rastafari!), and now what Mugabe has done! The last news of Kenya are not good.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 9:53 AM

What an airport experience departing Zimbabwe. Hopefully, things will improve in the future for Zimbabwe soon.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 6:08 PM

The story of Edward was touching. Again, what an experience to be in that part of the world and see first hand, the unrealized potential etc.

• Bigs's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 1:23 AM

This little Zimbabwe page takes me back into this once colourful and beautiful country. I cry with you.....

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Mum still thinks of it as Rhodesia... such a great country gone to waste :( Agreed re point re hiring local help, our 'help' were part of our family and I am still in contact with them and visit them when in SA. They are family to me :)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Zimbabwe

Have you been to Zimbabwe?

Latest Activity in Zimbabwe