"Hidden Tourist Delights!" Northern Province by Bwana_Brown

Northern Province Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 15 photos

Other than the time I hitch-hiked through Northern Province on my way to Tanzania and Kenya, I only had a single road trip to this part of Zambia. But what a great trip it was as I set off from the Copperbelt area of Zambia (near Ndola/Kitwe) with a Nova Scotian buddy of mine!

Our main goal was to visit Lake Tanganyika, but on the way we saw many amazing waterfalls, abandoned buildings and scenic views in the hills above the Great Rift Valley.

At that time in it's history, Zambia was totally undiscovered by the tourist world and I don't think that we came across another tourist in our entire 1200+ mile round trip! Now I see that, in the British 2004 Trends & Spends survey, Zambia is ranked 10th in the world as a destination spot for British tourists!

With it's high elevation of about 4000 feet in Central Africa, Zambia had one of the best climates that I have ever experienced - warm to hot with virtually no humidity!

We had a great trip through this huge northeastern part of the country as we took in the sights and visited with our fellow 'volunteer' workers who had been posted here from Canada and several European countries. When we were finished with Northern Province, we continued our circular route by touring Luapula Province and then passed through the Congo (Zaire then) to return home. Please see my General tip for a map of Zambia and the route that I took.

• Pros:Unspoiled Africa
  • Cons:None Really - If You are Flexible
  • In a nutshell:A fantastic part of Africa!
  • Last visit to Northern Province: Mar 1974
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2005

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Happy Easter Glenn = nice to travel with you & I do love waterfalls!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Glenn what an interesting page on this beautiful part of Africa.The waterfalls are awesome. I have many regrets that we did not see more of Africa when we were living in SA.

• pikuu's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM

Fabulous mix of useful tips (carefully at Lwombe), historical stories (Dupont in Africa), nature pictures (amazing waterfalls). I feel the aroma of your journey reading this diary.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM

Wow, fascinating; are you sure it wasn't the Aussie helping you? Cheers.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 8:15 AM

What a great adventure your roadtrip was. The falls are spectacular, and Lake Tangyanika looks especially interesting.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 1:20 PM

Fascinating page describing adventures in a pristine area of Africa. It must have been really exciting to stand at the lip of the great waterfall. I wonder if Father Dupont had to part with the Catholic Church because of the wives he had 'inherited'.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 10:08 AM

Ah this is very much off path ! Gorgeous landscapes and wonderful to read, Glenn - oops Bwana :-)

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 9:03 AM

Magnificent tales & tips from your pioneering journeys in a time with not so many guidebooks (if any at all) on this most remote region! Though a bit blur, I managed to notice the Aussie hitch hiker!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 6:26 AM

Another good 'historical' page, Glenn. I suspect that in those days, an Aussie hitchhiker would have been even less likely than Canadian tourists!

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 8:36 AM

Very interesting pages, with some great photo's BB! Blu

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Northern Province

Have you been to Northern Province?

Latest Activity in Northern Province