"Hidden Tourist Delights!" Northern Province by Bwana_Brown
Northern Province Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 15 photos
Other than the time I hitch-hiked through Northern Province on my way to Tanzania and Kenya, I only had a single road trip to this part of Zambia. But what a great trip it was as I set off from the Copperbelt area of Zambia (near Ndola/Kitwe) with a Nova Scotian buddy of mine!
Our main goal was to visit Lake Tanganyika, but on the way we saw many amazing waterfalls, abandoned buildings and scenic views in the hills above the Great Rift Valley.
At that time in it's history, Zambia was totally undiscovered by the tourist world and I don't think that we came across another tourist in our entire 1200+ mile round trip! Now I see that, in the British 2004 Trends & Spends survey, Zambia is ranked 10th in the world as a destination spot for British tourists!
With it's high elevation of about 4000 feet in Central Africa, Zambia had one of the best climates that I have ever experienced - warm to hot with virtually no humidity!
We had a great trip through this huge northeastern part of the country as we took in the sights and visited with our fellow 'volunteer' workers who had been posted here from Canada and several European countries. When we were finished with Northern Province, we continued our circular route by touring Luapula Province and then passed through the Congo (Zaire then) to return home. Please see my General tip for a map of Zambia and the route that I took.
- Pros:Unspoiled Africa
- Cons:None Really - If You are Flexible
- In a nutshell:A fantastic part of Africa!
Zambia is a fairly large country, although it does not look to be so on a map of Africa! At 752,000 square km in size,... more travel advice
A short drive from Mbala brought us to Kalambo Falls, the most impressive sight by far that I saw on this whole trip! At... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Northern Province Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Northern Province
- Hotels in Northern Province
- Transportation in Northern Province
- See All...
Explore the World
- Querétaro Hotels
- Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Hotels
- Stone Mountain State Park
- San Carlos Island Hotels
- Government Camp Hotels
- Mount Shasta
- Pulau Pisang
- Porto Ercole
- St. John
- Tai Po
- Hamilton Square Hotels
- Wilmington Hotels
- Saint Kilda
Badges & Stats in Northern Province
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Northern Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northern Province
Photos in Northern ProvinceSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos