"Three Years in Zambia !" Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia by Bwana_Brown

Zambia Travel Guide: 695 reviews and 1,714 photos

The 3 years that I spent in Zambia (1972-75) were the most exciting and enjoyable years of my life! It was a fantastic experience to be finished studying and finally getting "out there" to see the World. The climate and way of life were the best that I have ever experienced - even to this day! The first 2 years of my sojurn were spent in the Zambian Copperbelt town of Luanshya where I was teaching electrical subjects at the Zambian Institute of Technology. Because I was there under CUSO (the Canadian equivalent of the US Peace Corps or the British VSO program) my salary was relatively low so my travels were done on the "cheap" side, usually with one of the many other volunteers from all over the world who were also there. On one such trip, we drove to northern Zambia on Lake Tanganyika where it borders on Tanzania. The sight of Kalambo Falls still sticks in my mind (see photo, Zambia is on the right side). This marked the border and it is an 800 foot drop, the 2nd highest falls in Africa, 13th in the world. It is out in the middle of nowhere and it was all ours!

After walking along the edge of the gorge, I arrived at the lip of the falls. This shot was taken as the water roars over the cliff for its long fall to the gorge below - looking back to the distant spot from which the first photo was taken. It was quite exhilarating to be standing only a few feet away from such a long drop - with no barriers of any kind! The only similar experience that I have had since then was in 2000 when we lay on our stomachs to look down into the Atlantic Ocean over the edge of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.

• Last visit to Zambia: Apr 1975
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2003

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Its been a while since you have been, even so, your stories have been interesting, and what a great place for a Honeymoon, you will never forget !

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

It must have been a great adventure to work there! Great page, loved the stories!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 4:00 AM

I love roaming through your old Africa pics Glenn :) My MIL is from Zambia. Would love to visit Vic Falls when we return home in a couple of years. Thanks, Jen

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Hi Glenn, great information on your stay at Zambia! Happy birthday and do keep in touch :)

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Hello Thank you for your comments! Just enjoyed re-reading your Zambia pages. A country I intend to return to see more of.

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 3:42 AM

A fortunate man, 3 yrs in here! Clearly it has special meaning being as you found your wife here. We intend to return to see more of it, it still remains as Africa should, wild. It will have to wait a while however as this year we are headed for Botswana.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 5:43 AM

Had to revisit for the updates (and to check the pix of the young B_B)! :)) Those strip roads once were common in Queensland.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM

What a great experience, being able to live in such an exotic country. It's something I wish I could have done in my earlier years.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Great steam trains there!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Thank you for visiting my Beijing page. Your Zambia pages are wonderful. I admire you way of keeping fresh memories of long past days. Have a great weekend.

Bwana_Brown Used To Live Here!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Zambia