"Three Years in Zambia !" Top 5 Page for this destination Zambia by Bwana_Brown
Zambia Travel Guide: 708 reviews and 1,742 photos
The 3 years that I spent in Zambia (1972-75) were the most exciting and enjoyable years of my life! It was a fantastic experience to be finished studying and finally getting "out there" to see the World. The climate and way of life were the best that I have ever experienced - even to this day! The first 2 years of my sojurn were spent in the Zambian Copperbelt town of Luanshya where I was teaching electrical subjects at the Zambian Institute of Technology. Because I was there under CUSO (the Canadian equivalent of the US Peace Corps or the British VSO program) my salary was relatively low so my travels were done on the "cheap" side, usually with one of the many other volunteers from all over the world who were also there. On one such trip, we drove to northern Zambia on Lake Tanganyika where it borders on Tanzania. The sight of Kalambo Falls still sticks in my mind (see photo, Zambia is on the right side). This marked the border and it is an 800 foot drop, the 2nd highest falls in Africa, 13th in the world. It is out in the middle of nowhere and it was all ours!
After walking along the edge of the gorge, I arrived at the lip of the falls. This shot was taken as the water roars over the cliff for its long fall to the gorge below - looking back to the distant spot from which the first photo was taken. It was quite exhilarating to be standing only a few feet away from such a long drop - with no barriers of any kind! The only similar experience that I have had since then was in 2000 when we lay on our stomachs to look down into the Atlantic Ocean over the edge of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.
Another shot of the derelict coal-fired locomotives outside Livingstone, Zambia. We did see some of their type still in... more travel advice
Because of its ~4000 foot elevation, Zambia has a very pleasant climate. There is no humidity to speak of and the... more travel advice
- Victoria Falls
- See All Lusenga Plains Game Park
- Zambian Softball Champions
- Kafue River
- Agama Lizards Beware!
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Zambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zambia - African nutshell"
- "Zambia, check your transport first!!"
- "Three Years in Zambia !"
- "Canoeing on Zambezi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zambia
- Hotels in Zambia
- Transportation in Zambia
- Nightlife in Zambia
- Restaurants in Zambia
- Shopping in Zambia
- Warnings and Dangers in Zambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zambia
- 77 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Zambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zambia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos