"Two Winter Vacations in England" Top 5 Page for this destination Surrey by Bwana_Brown
Surrey Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 665 photos
With none of our grown children planning to be home for Christmas 2005, and me now being retired, we decided to seize the opportunity and spend 2-weeks in England over the holiday period. After all, it had been 31 years since Sue had spent one with her family, now mostly living in Cornwall. The tips on this page are an amalgamation of this trip along with the one described below.
In February, 2004 my wife had decided that it was a good time to escape Canada's wintery blasts. It also meant she could spend a few weeks in England visiting her elderly parents as well as her sister and brother. Since I had some vacation time to use up, we decided that I might as well come along for the first 10-days so we could combine it with a driving holiday and see a bit of the English countryside while we were at it! After landing at Heathrow, we picked up our rental car to start the trip off by visiting her brother and his wife just a short drive away in Farnham. Because it was in the middle of the school week and we did not want to upset the sleeping arrangements of their two children, we booked ourselves into the Heath Lodge B&B. This view is from its back garden looking toward the breakfast sun-room area to the left. We had a great, although short, visit in Farnham before we set off the next day for our first stop - in downtown London! On my return journey to Canada, I spent the night at my wife's brother's house doing house-sitting duties because they had been invited to a major Saturday night party. That suited me just fine, because I had driven all the way from Cornwall that day and had to get up early next morning to catch my flight home. Because their children were so well behaved, it just gave me a chance to play with the VT site on their computer!! Unfortuneately, because time was so short on this part of the trip, I did not have the chance to have a good look around the area on this visit. Please see my Greater London page for the next part of our trip!
- Pros:A beautiful part of England
- Cons:Traffic can be a little heavy this close to London
While staying in Farnham, if you want to do some sight-seeing in London, there is no need to worry about the hassles of... more travel advice
This photo shows me beside our bedroom entrance door, which only came up a short way above my shoulder (I only bumped... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Surrey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surrey a collection of glorius places"
- "Two Winter Vacations in England"
- "Farnham,Surrey -We crossed 3 counties to get here"
- "HOME AWAY FROM HOME"
- "Hampton Court Palace"
- "Down the road from London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Surrey
- Hotels in Surrey
- Transportation in Surrey
- Nightlife in Surrey
- Restaurants in Surrey
- Shopping in Surrey
- Warnings and Dangers in Surrey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Surrey
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Surrey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Surrey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos