"Two Winter Vacations in England" Top 5 Page for this destination Surrey by Bwana_Brown

Surrey Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 590 photos

With none of our grown children planning to be home for Christmas 2005, and me now being retired, we decided to seize the opportunity and spend 2-weeks in England over the holiday period. After all, it had been 31 years since Sue had spent one with her family, now mostly living in Cornwall. The tips on this page are an amalgamation of this trip along with the one described below.

In February, 2004 my wife had decided that it was a good time to escape Canada's wintery blasts. It also meant she could spend a few weeks in England visiting her elderly parents as well as her sister and brother. Since I had some vacation time to use up, we decided that I might as well come along for the first 10-days so we could combine it with a driving holiday and see a bit of the English countryside while we were at it! After landing at Heathrow, we picked up our rental car to start the trip off by visiting her brother and his wife just a short drive away in Farnham. Because it was in the middle of the school week and we did not want to upset the sleeping arrangements of their two children, we booked ourselves into the Heath Lodge B&B. This view is from its back garden looking toward the breakfast sun-room area to the left. We had a great, although short, visit in Farnham before we set off the next day for our first stop - in downtown London! On my return journey to Canada, I spent the night at my wife's brother's house doing house-sitting duties because they had been invited to a major Saturday night party. That suited me just fine, because I had driven all the way from Cornwall that day and had to get up early next morning to catch my flight home. Because their children were so well behaved, it just gave me a chance to play with the VT site on their computer!! Unfortuneately, because time was so short on this part of the trip, I did not have the chance to have a good look around the area on this visit. Please see my Greater London page for the next part of our trip!

• Pros:A beautiful part of England
  • Cons:Traffic can be a little heavy this close to London
  • Last visit to Surrey: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 11, 2006

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 5:45 PM

All those pubs and a rental car sounds dangerous to me, no wonder you have five hotel tips! ;) A-Z, can't live without it in London.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I find English B&Bs rather pricey in comparison with some other countries. Nice page with good practical advice.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 5:45 PM

I think I should follow your itinerary someday (great idea with those map pictures) especially that I've bourgt GPS receiver recently and it works perfectly (in Poland).

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 2:16 PM

I like your B&B accomodation tips !

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 4:19 AM

Yes indeed this is a lovely part of jolly ole England.. Looks like you experienced quite a bit of this area. I have to cringe at the thought of curried beef and a beer.

• Jul 6, 2005 at 11:09 PM

Great page Glenn! I shall be back to have a look at more of your UK pages... check out Sussex! It's nice here too!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Next time your over Glenn, plot your route to the south east (KENT) you will love it here.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 4:57 AM

You do great England pages. I've nearly done the whole trip with you.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2004 at 2:05 PM

A curry and a pint of beer.... okay, hahaha, I read toooo much about food, I need to go plunder my fridge now, lol ;-))) Another great page in your England series Glenn!

• marcoparco's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Great page Glenn. A Ford in Europe......I never would have thought!hahaha

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Surrey