"Relaxing on the Outer Banks" Top 5 Page for this destination Corolla by littlesam1

Corolla Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 155 photos

Corolla

I have been to the Outer Banks twice. Each time was a different season. My first trip was in January 2004 for a long weekend. It was very cold but very quiet and beautiful this time of year. I was able to return nine months later in September. This was the perfect time to visit the Outer Banks. The weather was perfect. The beaches were not crowded. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I have experienced in many years.

Corolla is located on the Outer Banks in Curritcuck County. From 1875, when the lighthouse was built, the village of Corolla started to grow. By the 1890's there were around 200 residents. After World War II the population started to decline until only a few residents remained until the early 1890's. Today the area is covered with beaufitul homes and summer residences.

Wnter on the Outer Banks

The Outer Banks of North Carolina bring to mind warm summer days, sunshine, sandy beaches. Well I spent a long weekend on the Outer Banks in January 2004. As you can tell by my clothing and the expression on my face, it is not exactly tropical in January. But there is something really nice about being here in the winter. There are no crowds. All you hear on the beach is the waves hitting the shore. Its kind of romantic in a frigid sort of way.

Summer on the Outer Banks

The coat and gloves are gone. My hat is in my hand. There is a definate difference when you visit in the summer. The guys in hats visited Corolla in September 2004. Keep in mind September is the heart of hurrican season and the Outer Banks are targets. The week we were here hurricanes were unforutnatey hitting the Florida coastline. Their effect was felt on the beaches here. The undertow was very strong and there were warnings posted for swimmers. I love the ocean though and found the larger waves to be a lot of fun to play in.

• Pros:Beautiful uncrowded beaches. Quiet, calm, a perfect place to relax.
  • Cons:A little bit isolated.
  • In a nutshell:The perfect end to a busy summer.
  • Last visit to Corolla: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 28, 2004

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2009 at 9:08 AM

nice picture of a great blue heron

• Nov 20, 2005 at 10:32 AM

Who knew a beach resort named after a Japanese car would look so inviting? ;)

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 11:42 AM

Sometimes the best times are in the 'off' season Great pages Larry! Happy travels, Blu

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 8:47 AM

I would love to have seen pics of the wild horses. Jolly nice place to stay, that crazy house with the crazy name.

• Wendy67's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 10:05 AM

We keep telling our daughter that wild horses don't exist anymore, stupid parents that we are ;) We must check it out and find those elusive horses. Maze of Grace looks absolutely inviting - love blue/yellow together especially. Nice page, Larry!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 8:23 AM

Glad to see you can have fun at the beach in winter. We love lighthouses. A Maze of Grace is amazing - would love to stay there sometime.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 11:44 AM

I was at the Outer Banks in January too:) Except we had 2 days of WARM weather:-) It was wonderful...I love the off season there. Corolla's a good place...I was in Manteo this time around, but we're usually down in Salvo or Avon. Great page:)

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2004 at 2:30 PM

Excellent page about an interesting place. Thanks.

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2004 at 4:45 PM

It seems a nice place to spend the weekend! ;) Thanks for sharing!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 3:14 PM

a nice page, Larry ! It is always great for me to visit light-towers !

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Corolla

Have you been to Corolla?

Latest Activity in Corolla