"Relaxing on the Outer Banks" Top 5 Page for this destination Corolla by littlesam1
Corolla Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 155 photos
I have been to the Outer Banks twice. Each time was a different season. My first trip was in January 2004 for a long weekend. It was very cold but very quiet and beautiful this time of year. I was able to return nine months later in September. This was the perfect time to visit the Outer Banks. The weather was perfect. The beaches were not crowded. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I have experienced in many years.
Corolla is located on the Outer Banks in Curritcuck County. From 1875, when the lighthouse was built, the village of Corolla started to grow. By the 1890's there were around 200 residents. After World War II the population started to decline until only a few residents remained until the early 1890's. Today the area is covered with beaufitul homes and summer residences.
The Outer Banks of North Carolina bring to mind warm summer days, sunshine, sandy beaches. Well I spent a long weekend on the Outer Banks in January 2004. As you can tell by my clothing and the expression on my face, it is not exactly tropical in January. But there is something really nice about being here in the winter. There are no crowds. All you hear on the beach is the waves hitting the shore. Its kind of romantic in a frigid sort of way.
The coat and gloves are gone. My hat is in my hand. There is a definate difference when you visit in the summer. The guys in hats visited Corolla in September 2004. Keep in mind September is the heart of hurrican season and the Outer Banks are targets. The week we were here hurricanes were unforutnatey hitting the Florida coastline. Their effect was felt on the beaches here. The undertow was very strong and there were warnings posted for swimmers. I love the ocean though and found the larger waves to be a lot of fun to play in.
- Pros:Beautiful uncrowded beaches. Quiet, calm, a perfect place to relax.
- Cons:A little bit isolated.
- In a nutshell:The perfect end to a busy summer.
We saw this large bird standing in the water not far from the boardwalk on the nature trail. He was oblivious to us. The... more travel advice
When I returned to the Outer Banks during the summer I took some time to walk around the Whalehead Club and wetlands... more travel advice
littlesam1's Related Pages
Corolla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corolla - a Village in Currituck County"
- "Relaxing on the Outer Banks"
- "Welcome to Corolla"
- ""Life on the Outer Banks.""
- "First Day in the Outer Banks"
- "Corolla Light ... A beautiful place for relaxation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corolla
- Hotels in Corolla
- Transportation in Corolla
- Restaurants in Corolla
- Shopping in Corolla
- Warnings and Dangers in Corolla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corolla
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Corolla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corolla
Photos in CorollaSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 55 reviews, 141 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue