"Havre de Grace - Harbor of Mercy" Top 5 Page for this destination Havre de Grace by littlesam1

Havre de Grace Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 264 photos

Havre de Grace, Maryland is my hometown although I now live about thirty five miles south in Baltimore. I was born in Havre de Grace and spent my first forty years living here. Havre de Grace is a small town of about 10,000 people. Most people do not realize that it almost became the capitol of the United States. It narrowly lost out to Washington DC as the site for the new capitol in 1791.

George Washington and General Lafayette of France spent time in Havre de Grace during the Revolutionary War. Legend has it that the name Havre de Grace came from General Lafayette. He remarked what a beautfiul harbor it was and how it reminded him of La Havre in France. So the name came to be Havre de Grace or Harbor of Grace or Beauty. If you are a native here you call it Havr de Grass.

Havre de Grace is placed in what I think is one of the most beautiful locations in Maryland. The Susquehanna River ends at Concord Point in Havre de Grace. And just where the river ends, the Chesapeake Bay begins. From Concord Point you can literally see the river and bay becoming one.

The light house at Concord Point is one of the oldest still in operation on the east coast. The view of the Chesapeake Bay from the lighthouse is breath taking.

Havre de Grace is also the self proclaimed Decoy Capitol of the World. This is because so many world famous decoy makers are from Havre de Grace. However, being a lifelong resident I never heard of any challenges or competitions for the title. One day it just appeared on a billboard at the entrance to the town and since that time its claimed the title.

• Pros:Small town life with lots of history.
  • Cons:Small town life is enough of a con for some people.
  • In a nutshell:At the mouth of Susquehanna and the source of the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Last visit to Havre de Grace: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2005

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2009 at 12:00 PM

One page down - hordes to go!!! HdG now up! Gillybob greetings

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 6:54 AM

Thanks for the tour of your home town. I'd love to see the view of the confluence of the rivers. Definately want to stay in one of those magnificent B&B's if I ever go that way. Bet everyone misses the 5 and dime store, huh?

• Jan 21, 2008 at 1:29 PM

Great presentation of Havre de Grace. I have a great love of Havre de Grace and often return for the 4th of July. I was born in Havre de Grace and miss it. A note about St. Pat's, my uncle Joseph Webster had something to do with the church bells.

• GaryGreer's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 11:48 AM

A touching story well told.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 11:33 PM

marvellous stuff Larry - like reading a novel - just great

• Jul 21, 2007 at 10:16 AM

It's a small world. My family owned the Home Stretch until my father sold it to a black businessman in a late night deal to better his childreen's way of life. At 58 I am planning a pilgramage soon to old Havre de Grace after almoct 50 years...MAP

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 7:28 AM

Larry, these are great tips written from a unique perspective. I plan to spend the night of 27 Jul 06 in Havre de Grace and they were very helpful.

• Dec 19, 2005 at 1:37 AM

I've enjoyed reading your entries about HdG and also the pictures. I visit the town at least yearly at Christmas time and love to notice what's new. It's one of my very favorite places of anywhere I've been.

• Sep 14, 2005 at 8:55 AM

I have to agree...Havre de Grace is a lovely town - I wanted to move there instead of Baltimore, but it wasn't to be. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I try to visit it often (I have a friend who lives there).

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 8:20 AM

Love those soft-shall crab sandwiches! I have several decoys signed by M. Mitchell. Great page and thanx for visiting Augusta! Marcia

littlesam1 Was Born Here!

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Havre de Grace

Have you been to Havre de Grace?