"Havre de Grace - Harbor of Mercy" Top 5 Page for this destination Havre de Grace by littlesam1
Havre de Grace Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 264 photos
Havre de Grace, Maryland is my hometown although I now live about thirty five miles south in Baltimore. I was born in Havre de Grace and spent my first forty years living here. Havre de Grace is a small town of about 10,000 people. Most people do not realize that it almost became the capitol of the United States. It narrowly lost out to Washington DC as the site for the new capitol in 1791.
George Washington and General Lafayette of France spent time in Havre de Grace during the Revolutionary War. Legend has it that the name Havre de Grace came from General Lafayette. He remarked what a beautfiul harbor it was and how it reminded him of La Havre in France. So the name came to be Havre de Grace or Harbor of Grace or Beauty. If you are a native here you call it Havr de Grass.
Havre de Grace is placed in what I think is one of the most beautiful locations in Maryland. The Susquehanna River ends at Concord Point in Havre de Grace. And just where the river ends, the Chesapeake Bay begins. From Concord Point you can literally see the river and bay becoming one.
The light house at Concord Point is one of the oldest still in operation on the east coast. The view of the Chesapeake Bay from the lighthouse is breath taking.
Havre de Grace is also the self proclaimed Decoy Capitol of the World. This is because so many world famous decoy makers are from Havre de Grace. However, being a lifelong resident I never heard of any challenges or competitions for the title. One day it just appeared on a billboard at the entrance to the town and since that time its claimed the title.
- Pros:Small town life with lots of history.
- Cons:Small town life is enough of a con for some people.
- In a nutshell:At the mouth of Susquehanna and the source of the Chesapeake Bay.
There are a series of bridges that cross the Susquehanna River at Havre de Grace. The very first one is the B&O Railroad... more travel advice
This is the statue of St. Patrick in the yard of the church. St. Patricks now has a large building built for community... more travel advice
littlesam1's Related Pages
Havre de Grace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Havre de Grace - Harbor of Mercy"
- "Sleepy Bayside Town"
- "ferdnbean's new Havre de Grace Page"
- "Havre De Grace, MD"
- "Almost the Capital of the United States"
- "Havre de Grace: Decoy Capital of the World"
- "I can't pronounce "Havre de Grace""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Havre de Grace
- Hotels in Havre de Grace
- Transportation in Havre de Grace
- Restaurants in Havre de Grace
- Shopping in Havre de Grace
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Havre de Grace
- 26 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Havre de Grace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Havre de Grace
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Favourite Destination of the..."
- Commented on one of Gillybob's Havre de Grace travel pages
- updated a Havre de Grace Travel Page "Havre de Grace - Harbor of Mercy"
- Uploaded a Photo to "An old fashioned gazebo"
- Wrote a Review Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge in Havre de Grace Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 57 reviews, 144 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue