"Ellicott City - Marylands Most Haunted City" Top 5 Page for this destination Ellicott City by littlesam1
Ellicott City Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 68 photos
In 1772 three Quaker Brothers moved from Pennsylvania and built the first of their two flour mill on the Patapsco River in Maryland. Ellicott Mills was founded by the brothers John, Joseph, and Andrew Ellicott. They built or financed a network of farm roads to make sure they were able to have wheat delivered for their mills. These roads became the Baltimore to Frederick Pike which eventually became the historic National Pike. Ellicott City became one of the largest flour milling centers in the colonies.
In 1830 the B&O Railroad built the "Old Main Line". This extended from Baltimore City to the rough mill town. Here the first railroad station in the nations was constructed. The famous steam locomotive the Tom Thumb made its initial run here on the 13 mile rail from Baltimore to Ellicott City. During the Civil War the railroad in Ellicott City and its bridges became prime targets of the Confederate Army. Contingents of Union soldiers were placed her to the guard the railroads.
Walking through the historical center of the city today it seems almost as if the ghosts of the past are walking with you. And they just might be. Ellicott City is considered to be the most haunted city in Maryland and one of the most haunted cities on the east coast.
The Ghosts of the Lilburn Mansion give rise to stories that date back more than a century. The beautiful home is one of the most notorious in the town.
Also located high on a hill overlooking the city are the ruins of the Patapsco Female Institute. Before the Civil War it was considered one of the most elegant girls schools in the country. Today it is one of the most haunted sites in Ellicott City.
- Pros:Small town with a wonderful historic preservation
- Cons:Very off the beaten path
- In a nutshell:History and Ghosts. Great for a day trip.
If you want good beer I would recommend the Ellicott Mill Brewing Company. They have their own micro brewery on the... more travel advice
Tourist Traps are not always bad things. Sometimes they can be fun. The many shops and stores in Ellicott City are... more travel advice
littlesam1's Related Pages
Ellicott City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ellicott City - Marylands Most Haunted City"
- "West of Baltimore"
- "Ellicott City - The Historic District"
- "jc2000's new Ellicott City page"
- "My Backyard"
- "frankcanfly's Baltimore Metro SOUTHWEST page"
- "Small, but interesting, suburb of Baltimore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellicott City
- Hotels in Ellicott City
- Transportation in Ellicott City
- Nightlife in Ellicott City
- Restaurants in Ellicott City
- Shopping in Ellicott City
- Warnings and Dangers in Ellicott City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellicott City
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Ellicott City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellicott City
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Favourite Destination of the..."
- Commented on one of crewrower's Ellicott City travel pages
- Wrote a Review My least favorite restaurant in Ellicott City in Ellicott City Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "My least favorite restaurant in Ellicott City"
- updated a Ellicott City Travel Page "Ellicott City - Marylands Most Haunted City"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 57 reviews, 144 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue