Karlsruhe Things to Do Tips by littlesam1
Karlsruhe Things to Do: 263 reviews and 569 photos
Turmbergbahn at the top of the hill
Once you arrive in Durlach take some time to walk the streets and enjoy the beautiful houses and parks. As you walk follow the signs the bottom of the mountain where you will find the Turmbergbahn, which is the funicular that will take you to the top of Turmberg or Tower Mountain. There is only one train and one track. So if the train is not in the station you have to press a button to sound an alarm to the station at the top of the mountain to signal you are waiting for the train to return.
Just outside of the city of Karlsruhe is the small village of Durlach. The tram from Marktplatz runs to Durlach in about ten minutes. Durlach is a beautiful little town with a large tower on the hillside, that can be climbed. From the tower you will get an beautiful view of Durlach and Karlsruhe in the distance.
The Grenadier monument was erected in 1925 by designer O. Gruber. At the top of the monument is a bronze griffin. The monument is located at one of the busiest intersections in Karlsruhe at Europlatz. The memorial is to commerate the fallen of the Baden Grenadier Guard.
It is also a good focal point for meeting folks. The memorial is tall and stands in one of the busiest parts of the city. Its easy to find and an excellent location to meet with your travel groups.
This memorial is to Kaiser Wilhelm I also known as William the Great. Wilhelm I was responsible for the unification of Germany and the establishment of the German Empire. I usually end up with more pictures of Equestrian statues than I do buildings or people when I travel.
As we walked through the business district of Karlsruhe I saw many modern street sculptures. These two pictured were my favorites. The first one particularly fascinates me. I think its something to do with the way the fountain causes the water to run out of the sculptures toe that caught my attention. These statues became good friends to me. After our first night at the Euromeeting Mark and I tried to find our way back to our room. We had a lot of fun the first night and definatley had a little bit to drink. We had a street map but became lost anyway. As we stumbled our way down the dark streets in the early morning hours we had no idea where we were. Suddenly I saw this statue of the man with water coming out of his toe. I then knew exactly where we were. Mark did not trust me at the moment and swore that neither of us had seen the statue before and therefore were even more lost than we realized. So I took out my trusty digital camera, found the photo of the statue I had taken earlier that day and showed it to him. We then realized we were only a couple of blocks from our hotel. Thank you statue with the fountain in the toe.
Charles Frederick Grand Duke of Baden
Just in front of the palace is a large statue. Once again my fascination with statues of historical people forced me to stop and take a photograph. I was a little perplexed the day we were here. There was a large group of school children having some sort of event and it was diffcult to get a picture of the statue without any of the children getting into my photo. I have nothing against childrens activities, but I wanted my picture of the statue. Charles is an interesting historical character. I read that he abolished torture and serfdom with his land. He supported the schools, universities, urban development and culture. Once more my interest in statues has given me a history lesson.
The Karlsruhe Palace sets the stage for the circular fan like city design. There are thirty two streets that radiate out from the castle like spokes on a wheel, with the bell tower at the very center of the wheel. The Palace was originally built by Margrave Karl Wilhelm in 1715 when the city was founded. The Palace suffered major damage during the bombings of World War II. However today it has been restored to its once regal appearance. Although Karlsruhe has one of the best transportation systems in Germany, we took time to walk the streets and walked to the Palace from our hotel. There are beautiful gardens behind the Palace to also enjoy.
The Pyramid located in the Marktplatz is the symbol of Karlsruhe. It is the tomb of Margrave Karl Wilhelm who founded Karlshruhe in 1715. And of course its obvious Karlsruhe takes its name from the founder.
More Reviews (4)
littlesam1's Related Pages
Karlsruhe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karlsruhe - the cradle of VirtualTourist"
- "EASY TO GET HERE, EASY TO SEE & A VT EUROMEET !!!"
- "Karlsruhe - under construction until 2019....."
- "VirtualTourist meetings in Karlsruhe"
- "Karlsruhe, a city with many attractions"
- "Euromeet 2008"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlsruhe
- Hotels in Karlsruhe
- Transportation in Karlsruhe
- Nightlife in Karlsruhe
- Restaurants in Karlsruhe
- Shopping in Karlsruhe
- Warnings and Dangers in Karlsruhe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlsruhe
- 12 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Karlsruhe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlsruhe
- updated a Karlsruhe Travel Page "Karlshrue and the VT party of the year - May 2008"
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Christmas season in Prague and..."
- Wrote a Review Ride the Turmbergbahn in Durlach to Tower Mountain in Karlsruhe Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ride the Turmbergbahn in Durlach to Tower Mountain"
- Uploaded a Video to Karlsruhe
- Commented on one of Hikerpark's Karlsruhe travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 59 reviews, 148 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (231)
- Marktplatz- 20 Reviews, 25 Photos
- City Garden and Zoo- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Weihnachtsmarkt- 7 Reviews, 22 Photos
- ZKM - Center for Art and Media Technology- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- The Beer Castle- 1 Review, 1 Photo
- The Palace- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Prince-Max-Palace- 2 Reviews, 6 Photos
- The Town Hall- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Pyramid- 3 Reviews, 8 Photos
- The State Museum for Natural Science- 1 Review, 1 Photo
See All Karlsruhe Things to Do