"Cologne - Koln: A City of Cathedrals and Walls" Cologne by littlesam1

Cologne Travel Guide: 1,571 reviews and 3,968 photos

A Day In Cologne

While on vacation in Amsterdam we were able to take a side trip to the city of Cologne in Germany. We only had one day to spend in Cologne so we tried to see as much as possible. While its impossible to get the true feel for a city in one day it is still great to be able to have the opportunity to see as much as possible.

Pictured here is the immense Cathedral in Cologne. When you exit the train station it is the first thing you see. You can not miss it. It is one of the tallest Cathedrals I have seen. Its size seems to dwarf everything in its vicinity. However it was so large it was difficult to get a good clear close up picture. This picture was taken at a distance from the bank of the Rhine River.

The Cathedral has relics of the Magi which I found fascinating. It is truely an overpowering building. Cologne experienced much damage from allied bombings during World War Two. There are pictures of the damage caused to the insides of the Cathedral and its a miracle that it was left standing from the appearance of the pictures. Today it has been restored and is truely remarkable.

• Last visit to Cologne: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2003

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Thanks for visiting my Cologne page. It is a wonderful city! I especially like your photo of the Engelstein Gate. It is not an overpowering tourist attraction (like the Cathedral), but I liked it.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Nice page of Cologne - fun street level virtual tour. Interesting to see the mouse climbing up one of the poles. War destruction is terrible - allow rebuilding to blend in modern and old. Cheers, SL

• penumbra's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM

Lunch along the Rhine. Bratwurst, Mmmm.

• Jan 5, 2007 at 9:53 AM

im sending my teacher here he thinks its very interesting

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2005 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for checking on Berlin page. I'm sure you would like the town a lot. It's just great there. Have never been to Cologne uhmm. As for your experiences sounds good too.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 12:09 PM

I expect to be moving to Cologne next year ... Doc

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 8:18 AM

Thank you Larry for a lovely page on Cologne. I have the opportunity to visit this summer and I added the church pages to my travel guide. Kat

• Sep 17, 2004 at 12:46 PM

Interesting and helpful page Larry... Cologne is on my 'must visit soon' list!! (and I will remember to bring cash :))

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2004 at 5:02 AM

I imagine Cologne would be a good place to buy after shave. Its hard to find any I like though. Something that doesn't sting so much. Hope you're having a fun time in Prague

• Mar 11, 2004 at 7:11 AM

nice page. Engelstein gate is wonderful!!

littlesam1

“"The only thing to do with family skeletons is to take them out of the closet and dance with them."”

Badges & Stats in Cologne

Have you been to Cologne?