"Cologne - Koln: A City of Cathedrals and Walls" Cologne by littlesam1
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,661 reviews and 4,411 photos
While on vacation in Amsterdam we were able to take a side trip to the city of Cologne in Germany. We only had one day to spend in Cologne so we tried to see as much as possible. While its impossible to get the true feel for a city in one day it is still great to be able to have the opportunity to see as much as possible.
Pictured here is the immense Cathedral in Cologne. When you exit the train station it is the first thing you see. You can not miss it. It is one of the tallest Cathedrals I have seen. Its size seems to dwarf everything in its vicinity. However it was so large it was difficult to get a good clear close up picture. This picture was taken at a distance from the bank of the Rhine River.
The Cathedral has relics of the Magi which I found fascinating. It is truely an overpowering building. Cologne experienced much damage from allied bombings during World War Two. There are pictures of the damage caused to the insides of the Cathedral and its a miracle that it was left standing from the appearance of the pictures. Today it has been restored and is truely remarkable.
If you plan on shopping or even dining in Cologne I advise you to bring cash. We were unable to find any merchants or... more travel advice
Where you find tourist you find shopping. Here is one of the entrances to the very busy Cologne shopping district. more travel advice
littlesam1's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Fabulous city with huge cultural heritage."
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 50 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 59 reviews, 148 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 23 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 24 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 12 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mürren Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 32 reviews, 35 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues